Service Name: Laptop Full Disk Encryption
The University’s Electronic Data Security Policy requires all laptops containing sensitive electronic data be encrypted; that way, no unauthorized disclosure of data occurs in the event the laptop is lost or stolen. Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a service to encrypt University-owned laptops using McAfee Endpoint Encryption (MEE) software.
- Laptop backup
- Hard disk check
- Full disk encryption
How to request this service:
To set up an appointment or for general inquiries:
Service Desk, HH-2012
To purchase MEE software:
Who can avail of this service:
Out of Scope:
- MacBooks. MEE support for Mac OS is not expected until Q2 2011. Until that time, MacBook users should avail of Mac OS’ FileVault feature.
- Personal laptops
- MI and SWGC laptops
- Once configured, encryption functionality is available 24/7 with no scheduled maintenance windows.
- Encryption support is provided by the ITS Service Desk from 8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Once the Service Desk is contacted to request the service, an appointment can usually be set up within a couple of days.
- After laptop drop off, the encryption process takes approximately one day.
Processes and Tools:
To avail of the service you must:
- Contact IT Procurement to purchase MEE software
- Complete McAfee Employee Encryption Access form and return to ITS
- Contact ITS to set up an encryption appointment
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Service Desk -- point of contact for clients requesting encryption service; responsible for recording and tracking requests.
- IT Procurement -- point of contact for clients for purchase of MEE software.
- Personal Computing Group (PCG) -- responsible for receiving laptops during appointment time, laptop backup, disk check and encryption.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Total number of encryption requests per quarter or year.
- Number of completed encryption requests per quarter or year.
Revision: January 2011
Service Owner: Security - Kenneth Forward, IT Security Officer