Careers in Biochemistry
Ok, so you're going to get a degree in Biochemistry or Nutrition. What are you going to do with it?
The following web sites give some general information on careers. Note that, while many of them are American-oriented, they are still useful starting points for thinking about possibilities.
A weekly on-line publication devoted to scientific training and career development, it provides global news, profiles of emerging careers, and advice from experts and role models drawn from your international scientific community. This site is targeted more towards graduate students and those who are interested in careers in research. It was developed by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the publishers of Science magazine. The site is co-sponsored by a number of agencies including the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
Visit the Biochemical Society Webpage (http://www.biochemistry.org/Default.aspx) and view Higher education and beyond for useful links to help you in your job hunt. Nextsteps: Options After a Bioscience Degree is an excellent resource produced by a number of bioscience societies and organizations.
Unlocking Life's Secrets: Careers in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
An excellent guide prepared by FASEB (Federation of American Societies of Experimental Biology) (This is a pdf document)
Nutrition Education - Career in Dietetics
pages from the American Dietetics Association.
Who are Dietitians? and What's a Nutritionist? Careers in nutrition and dietetics
A Q&A web page from Joanne Larsen. She has lots of other pages - Ask the Dietitian - with topics of interest to dietitians and nutritionists.
CollegeGrad.com has some pages describing professional, technical and related careers. While the information is oriented towards the United States, it may be useful to you as you think about and explore options.
Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians
Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
The following web sites are for programs that may interest you or may have been followed by some of our recent graduates:
- Memorial University School of Medicine - Admissions Information
- Information about the MCAT and MCAT Writing Sample Items.
- Dalhousie University Faculty of Dentistry
- The Dental Aptitude Test (Canada)
- The Dental Admission Test (USA)
Occupational Therapy & Physiotherapy
- University of Western Ontario - Faculty of Health Sciences which contains the School of Occupational Therapy and the School of Physical Therapy
- McGill University - School of Physical and Occupational Therapy
- University of Waterloo - School of Optometry
- Dalhousie University - Corporate Residency MBA
- Dalhousie University Law School
- University of New Brunswick Faculty of Law
- Law School Admissions Service & the LSAT