Why Environmental Science @ Memorial?
Memorial University’s Environmental Science programs are interdisciplinary in nature and offered by the Faculty of Science. Students enter the Environmental Science programs from a wide range of undergraduate science backgrounds, including the bachelor’s program in Environmental Science offered at Grenfell Campus (Memorial's campus in Corner Brook). Our graduate programs give students an opportunity to build upon their undergraduate science education, to investigate its environmental relevance, to see how it relates to other scientific disciplines important in Environmental Science, and to learn more about these other disciplines.
There are three ways to complete a graduate degree in Environmental Science: one is a course-based program leading to the degree of Master of Environmental Science (MEnvSci), another is a more research-intensive program leading to the degree of Master of Science (Environmental Science), and the third is the research-based PhD.
Description of programs
- MEnvSci – The MEnvSci program involves only courses and can be completed in one year of full-time study. A co-op option including a work term is also available.
- MSc – The MSc program involves courses and a thesis. The MSc can be completed in two years of full-time study.
- PhD – The PhD program involves courses, a comprehensive exam, and a thesis. The program can be completed in four years of full-time study.
Contact a faculty supervisor
Graduate applicants interested in research-based programs are strongly encouraged to contact a faculty supervisor at the time of application. Visit the Environmental Science program website for areas for a list of faculty members, their research interests, and contact information. You may also use the Yaffle search engine to find a supervisor you may wish to work with.
Minimum admission requirements
- MSc – Bachelor's degree (minimum second class) in an appropriate area of study
- PhD – Master’s degree in an appropriate area of study
Important Note: The information provided on this website is subject to change.The University Calendar is the final authority on university fees and regulations.
MSc, MEnvSci, PhD
MEnvSci,MSc: 1-2 years
PhD: 4 years
February 1 for Fall admission
April 1 for Winter admission
Tuition (Canadian students):
MEnvSci, MSc: $632-$1,313/semester
Tuition (International students):
MEnvSci, MSc: $822-$1,706/semester
Departmental WebsiteGet More InformationUniversity Calendar