Memorial University offers competitive funding packages to academically eligible full-time graduate students, both Canadian and international, in eligible programs.
All programs are eligible except graduate diploma programs, MASc, non-thesis MBA, non-thesis MEd, MEnvSci, MEM, MER, MMM, non-thesis MN, MPH, and MTM.
The value of funding will depend on the graduate program you are admitted to. Funding sources include:
- School of Graduate Studies fellowships
- graduate assistantships (employment)
- supervisor grants/contracts
We strongly encourage you to apply for scholarships and external sources of funding to enhance your curriculum vitae.
If a student is successful in receiving a scholarship or external funding, that amount may replace a portion or all of the funding offered in the letter of admission. In many cases, however, the student will receive more than the initial funding offer.
Most recommendations for funding are made by the academic unit at the time of admission and approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Eligibility periods for students maintaining full-time status and academic standing:
- One-year Master’s programs: one year (three semesters)
- All other Master’s programs: two years (six semesters)
- Doctor of Philosophy programs: four years (twelve semesters)
- Transfer to a new program: the start of the eligibility period of the program being transferred to is the commencement date of the program being transferred from.
We strongly encourage students to refer to the Guidelines for the Awarding of SGS Fellowships and Graduate Student Support for more information, or contact the appropriate academic unit.
Students who are interested in receiving financial support should make note of this in the appropriate section of their application forms.
Additional funding is available, for successful candidates, through the Dean's Doctoral Award. This award is a $5000 per year Fellowship for up to four years and is open to prospective PhD students within Arts and Sciences disciplines. Applications to Memorial will be automatically considered for this award through a competitive process