Please Enter a Search Term
Why Study the Arts?
- An arts education will prepare you for the world of work by providing you with an invaluable set of employability skills, including
- the ability to think critically and analytically
- the ability to communicate effectively
- the knowledge and experience needed to solve problems resourcefully and
- By opening the eyes, ears, and mind, the arts often strengthens our tolerance, sympathy, and respect for others, and equips us to participate effectively in the community.
- An arts degree will allow you to create individual opinions and responses to the world around you, and to the controversies within it-such as issues relating to the environment, social justice, human rights, gender relations, and foreign policy.
- Those who study the arts gain skills and knowledge that are never obsolete. Though our world is changing rapidly, the underlying skills, abilities and attributes fostered in the arts will always be relevant.
Why study at Memorial?
- Memorial University is the largest academic institution in Atlantic Canada, with 4 different campuses, more than 100 diverse programs, and a wide array of student services.
- We are located in Canada's youngest province, Newfoundland and Labrador-rich in history, culture, and natural beauty.
- Memorial University's Students' Union has lobbied tirelessly to reduce tuition fees; the result is that our institution has some of the lowest rates of tuition in the country. See the table below, which compares undergraduate tuition fees at various Canadian universities.
| University || Approximate Undergraduate Tuition Fees for Canadian Students (one year)
|University of Western Ontario
|University of Ottawa
|University of Saskatchewan
|University of British Columbia
Why study the arts at Memorial?
- Many people claim that quality is better than quantity: we aim to bring you both. At Memorial University's Faculty of Arts, you can choose a major from 24 disciplines; there are an additional 12 disciplines to choose from at the minor level. We also offer 8 diploma programs and 16 interdisciplinary programs.
- There are many scholarships and bursaries available to arts students, and we also offer many on-campus employment opportunities to give students a chance to gain valuable work experience.
- Services have been developed to ensure your success as an arts student at Memorial. For example, the Writing Centre provides free tutoring to students who want help with writing, and you can practice your language skills at the Multimedia Language Labs.
- Our Faculty boasts what is arguably the most diverse array of study abroad programs in the country.
- We have established partnerships with other universities all over the world that allow our students to participate in educational exchanges. (This means that you can study abroad while still paying the same tuition fees that you would pay at Memorial University.) For more information, please contact:
Study Abroad Co-ordinator
Faculty of Arts