The Harris Centre - MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund
Competition Opens 1 December 2020.
Proposal submission deadline:
4PM NT 15 January 2021
Think your project could address NL's solid waste management challenges?
We have funding to help you!
Open to all faculty, students and staff at Memorial, the Harris Centre - MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund provides up to $15,000 per project/per year to investigate waste management issues in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The objectives of the fund are:
• To stimulate and mobilize research in solid waste management issues;
• To incorporate community needs in research projects;
• To provide research evidence for public policy makers;
• To assist regions, communities and community groups in their decision-making;
• To build a network of interested partners representing a diversity of sectors; and
• To make a difference in the lives of Newfoundland and Labrador people.
At this time, the University and its external partner (MMSB) are particularly interested in research focused on priority waste streams identified in:
• The 2019 review of the 2002 Provincial Waste Management Strategy entitled Finishing What We Started; and
• The 2018 Canadian Council of Ministers of Environment’s Zero Plastic Waste Strategy and Action Plans.
The principal applicants (principal investigators) can be:
• Memorial University faculty with research privileges;
• Memorial University faculty (teaching term appointment) with a co-investigator with research privileges;
• Memorial University students with an academic supervisor with research privileges;
• Memorial University staff with an academic supervisor or faculty co-applicant with research privileges;
• Post-doctoral fellows at Memorial University with a faculty co-applicant or an academic supervisor with research privileges.
Principal applicants are expected to maintain a MUN affiliation for the duration of the project.
Fund Guide and Terms of Award
The Fund Guide provides further information and details on the focus of this fund. We strongly recommend applicants review the Fund Guide before starting your application.
The Harris Centre uses an on-line application system, Survey Apply, for its applied research funds. The system will guide you through the entire application, but we strongly suggest that you start the application process as soon as possible in order to familiarize yourself with the system and ensure that you can meet the application deadline. The system allows you to save your progress and return to your application as many times as needed. Please note that your references also must use this system and we suggest that you ask them to fill in their referral forms as soon as possible.
If you have any questions regarding the online system please contact Ruby Fewer, Contracts and Funds Coordinator at the Harris Centre, at email@example.com
Please Note: Receipt of your application will be confirmed by the system auto-responder e-mail. If you have not received confirmation within two (2) business days of the application submission, please contact the Harris Centre immediately.
Chris Paterson, Knowledge Mobilization Coordinator
The Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development
Privacy Note: all information provided by the applicant(s), and included in this application package, will be used only for the purpose of evaluating proposals of the Harris Centre MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund, and will not be used for any other purpose, without the expressed written consent of the applicant(s). If you have any questions about how this information will be used, please contact Bojan Fürst, Manager, Knowledge Mobilization by email or by phone at 864-2120.