The Harris Centre - MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund
Closes 4pm on 29 August 2022
Think your project could address NL's solid waste management challenges?
We have funding to help you!
Open to all faculty, students and staff at Memorial, the Harris Centre - MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund provides up to $15,000 per project/per year to investigate waste management issues in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The objectives of the fund are:
• To stimulate and mobilize research in solid waste management issues;
• To incorporate community needs in research projects;
• To provide research evidence for public policy makers;
• To assist regions, communities and community groups in their decision-making;
• To build a network of interested partners representing a diversity of sectors; and
• To make a difference in the lives of Newfoundland and Labrador people.
At this time, the University and its external partner (MMSB) are particularly interested in research focused on advancing “waste-to-value” opportunities for organic waste streams (i.e., to use these waste streams as feedstocks to create new products and contribute to economic development) in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Further information and examples regarding this area of focus can be found in the updated MMSB Fund Guide 2022. We strongly recommend applicants review the Fund Guide before starting your application.
The principal applicants (principal investigators) can be:
• Memorial University faculty with research privileges;
• Memorial University faculty (teaching term appointment) with a co-investigator with research privileges;
• Memorial University students with an academic supervisor with research privileges;
• Memorial University staff with an academic supervisor or faculty co-applicant with research privileges;
• Post-doctoral fellows at Memorial University with a faculty co-applicant or an academic supervisor with research privileges.
Principal applicants are expected to maintain a MUN affiliation for the duration of the project.
Fund Guide and Terms of Award
The Fund Guide provides further information and details on the focus of this fund. We strongly recommend applicants review the Fund Guide before starting your application.
Click here to view the MMSB Fund Guide 2022
The Harris Centre uses an on-line application system, Survey Apply, for its applied research funds. The system will guide you through the entire application, but we strongly suggest that you start the application process as soon as possible in order to familiarize yourself with the system and ensure that you can meet the application deadline. The system allows you to save your progress and return to your application as many times as needed. Please note that your references also must use this system and we suggest that you ask them to fill in their referral forms as soon as possible.
If you have any questions regarding the online system please contact Ruby Fewer, Contracts and Funds Coordinator at the Harris Centre, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Receipt of your application will be confirmed by the system auto-responder e-mail. If you have not received confirmation within two (2) business days of the application submission, please contact the Harris Centre immediately.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 22 AUGUST 2022 at 4:00pm NT
Chris Paterson, Knowledge Mobilization Coordinator
The Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development
Privacy Note: all information provided by the applicant(s), and included in this application package, will be used only for the purpose of evaluating proposals of the Harris Centre MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund, and will not be used for any other purpose, without the expressed written consent of the applicant(s). If you have any questions about how this information will be used, please contact Bojan Fürst, Manager, Knowledge Mobilization by email or by phone at 864-2120.