A great way to combine fitness with fresh air and companionship
Two walking groups offer hikes and walks
at various levels of difficulty
MONDAY HIKING GROUP:
TIME: 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. (approx.)
- CONVENOR: Elke Molgaard. To get on the mailing list, contact her by e-mail at WAMUN.
- DESTINATIONS: are posted through WAMUN email.
- HELP IN GETTING THERE: ride sharing can be arranged, as needed, depending on the venue and the participants.
- LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: hikes of moderate to adventurous difficulty with an emphasis on hikes in natural areas. In winter, we love to hike through snow on snowshoes.
- TYPICAL WALKS: the White Hills, behind the DFO building, straight down to the ocean and back; Cape Spear; walking on the trail from Cape Spear towards Maddox Cove; Virginia River Trail; Oxen Pond Botanical Garden; in Pippy Park on snowshoes.
SATURDAY WALKING GROUP:
TIME: 1:30 p.m - 2:30 p.m. (approx.)
- CONVENOR: Deborah Rehner To get on the mailing list, contact her by e-mail at WAMUN
- DESTINATIONS: are posted to members in an email message from the convenor, usually on Friday, or later depending on the weather.
- HELP IN GETTING THERE: ride sharing can usually be arranged upon request.
- LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: gentle walks for all but with scope for those wanting a more rigorous walk
- COFFEE & CONVERSATION: at Tim Horton's afterwards
- TYPICAL WALKS include: Long Pond; Mundy Pond; Quidi Vidi; MUN Botanical Garden; Bowring Park; the Grand Concourse; Octagon Pond; Cape Spear; Power's Pond (Mt. Pearl); The T-Railway (along the Waterford River); quiet city streets such as "the Capitals" (e.g. Toronto St., Halifax St.); and, reserved for very nasty weather - The Works.
We keep a pictorial record of our walks that you may wish to visit.
Follow the links to these to albums.
Last updated: 2014-05-28 | kh