Office of the Registrar
General Information (2010/2011)
8.8 Student Health Service

The staff at Student Health Service are available to provide comprehensive health care and to assist students in taking responsibility for their own health. Primary functions of the Service are the diagnosis and treatment of illness, the activation and maintenance of wellness and the promotion of health education programs.

The Student Heath Service is located in room UC4023 on the fourth floor of the Smallwood Centre, and is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 by appointment only, except for emergencies. Walk in clinics are scheduled throughout the week. Further information may be obtained by telephone to (709) 864-7597 or through the website at

8.8.1 International Students

International students are automatically enrolled, upon registration, in the mandatory emergency medical insurance plan. International students may opt in their dependents. A personal medical card will be issued by the international Student Advising (ISA) Office and must be presented by the student each time medical or hospital services are required. The student must also sign a claim form for each medical or hospital service rendered. MCP cards are required for international students that are MCP eligible and should be presented first in the event of medical care. Further information may be obtained by contacting the International Student Advising Office.

Graduate international students eligible for provincial health coverage (MCP) should bring proof to the ISA office and opt out of the emergency plan and into the Graduate Students' Union (GSU) health plan.

Undergraduate international students eligible for provincial health coverage (MCP) should bring proof to the ISA office and opt out of the emergency plan and into the Memorial University of Newfoundland Students' Union (MUNSU) health plan.

8.8.2 Medical Records

All students' medical records are strictly confidential. No information is released without the request and written consent of the student.

8.8.3 Medical Services

Services provided include:

  1. diagnosis and treatment of: physical illness, emotional problems, sexually transmitted diseases, injuries;

  2. individual counselling on various aspects of health and wellness: smoking, fitness, weight control, nutrition, alcohol and drug abuse;

  3. referral to: specialists, physiotherapists, hospital diagnostic services, other health care agencies;

  4. reproductive health: pap smears, contraception, pregnancy - testing, referral services;

  5. Injury rehabilitation programs;

  6. AIDS (HIV antibody) testing: confidential blood tests, pre-test counselling, post-test counselling;

  7. "Medicals" (non-insured service): pre-employment, pre-admission to professional schools, SCUBA diving, driver's license, TB skin test;

  8. Educational materials on health issues

  9. MCP information and application forms

  10. Vaccinations

8.8.4 Medicals

"Medicals" (pre-employment, SCUBA, driver's licence, life insurance, etc.) are not covered by insurance plans and must be paid for by the student.

8.8.5 New Students

Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their medical records to the Student Health Centre. This is especially important for students who:

  1. have chronic or recurrent illness, e.g. asthma, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, seizure disorders;

  2. require refills of prescription drugs;

  3. have a physical disability, e.g. cerebral palsy, spina bifida, visual or hearing impairment; or

  4. have a history of mental illness.

8.8.6 Newfoundland and Labrador Students

MCP cards are required.

8.8.7 Payment

The University will bill the appropriate paying agency for the eligible medical services received at the Student Health Service.

8.8.8 Students From Other Canadian Provinces

Students from other Canadian provinces are required to bring their provincial medicare cards.