The following are historical milestones in the establishment and development of the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science at Memorial University.
|1930||Three-year engineering diploma program available. Graduates attend other institutions to complete their engineering degrees. Dr. Thomas H. Winter was the first engineering professor, who supervised thirteen students. Some of the students of this first class were Dr. J. B. Angel, Ralph Higgins, Clarence Knight, R. V. Moores, Dr. Clarence Powell, and Walter Woolfrey.|
|1934||Dr. G. A. Frecker took over the engineering teaching duties and was followed by S. J. Hayes, who served from 1935 to 1941.|
|1941||Stanley Carew replaced Professor Hayes as the sole engineering professor until John M. Facey joined the faculty in 1946.|
|1949||Memorial University College became a full-fledged university and was renamed to Memorial University of Newfoundland. The Engineering Department became part of the Faculty of Applied Science, with Professor Stanley J. Carew its first dean.|
Another staff member joined in 1955, and by 1966 there were six faculty members teaching slightly more than 400 engineering students.
|1960s||Dr. Stanley J. Carew, dean of the Faculty of Applied Science, proposes to expand the diploma program to a full degree program.|
|1962-1967||Dr. Moses Morgan, vice-president, supports the idea to develop a degree-granting engineering program at Memorial. He solicits concepts from three engineering deans at Ontario universities, including Dr. Doug Wright of the University of Waterloo, who recently developed a co-operative engineering program.|
|1966||Dr. Wright recommends Dr. Angus Bruneau, a faculty member at the University of Waterloo, as a candidate for leading the new co-operative engineering degree program at Memorial. Dr. Angus Bruneau becomes dean of the new Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.|
|1968||Dr. Bruneau emphasizes the importance of cold oceans engineering and oil and gas for the province and Memorial through speeches and pioneering research projects.|
|1969||Memorial began its own degree-granting engineering program and also offers a new Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degree in ocean engineering.|
|1970||First substantial investigation of iceberg towing. Seven icebergs were towed in 18 days at sea by the Chimo vessel, Percy M. Crosbie, a project initiated by Dr. Bruneau and supported by numerous oil companies.|
|1971||Memorial offers a new Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in ocean engineering.|
Memorial’s first electrical, mechanical and civil engineers (cohort of 76 students) graduated with a bachelor of engineering degree.
C-CORE was established with Harold Snyder as its first Director. Hillary Dawson became the first female to graduate from Memorial with a degree in engineering.
Ocean and naval architectural engineering was introduced in 1982, and computer engineering in 1991. There are strong research programs in all of the disciplines.
Research grants were secured from the National Research Council (NRC) and other government agencies and industry. St. John’s becomes a hub for cold oceans research and development (R&D), leading to the establishment of NORDCO, and the move of the NRC facility in Ocean, Coastal and River Engineering from Ottawa to St. John’s.
The Faculty grows to over 1,100 undergraduate students, 6 accredited undergraduate programs, 17 graduate programs, 580 graduate students and over $16 million per year in annual research funding. CEAB accreditation is secured for the new process engineering program in 2014.