Apply to Memorial
Memorial University welcomes applicants from Newfoundland and Labrador, other areas of Canada, and around the world. You will find all you need to know about the application and admission process here.
Note: The information below pertains to undergraduate degree applicants only. For graduate or non-degree programs, refer to the advice provided by the School of Graduate Studies or Marine Institute respectively.
Choose your area of interest, campus, and starting semester and then check the application deadlines and entrance requirements
With over 100 degree programs and multiple campuses to choose from, your options are wide open.
- Some programs have specific admission requirements that are beyond those in place for general admission and may have strict application deadlines. Meeting minimum application and admission requirements does not guarantee admission to these programs.
- Memorial University offers general admission to all applicants who meet the minimum general undergraduate application and admission requirements.
- You are not required to select a program on your application for admission. However, it is advisable to do so. Many students select admission to the bachelor of arts or the bachelor of science as a starting point if they are unsure.
- You will find information concerning general admission requirements by selecting the Admission Requirements link above. General information on faculty and school admission is provided online as well.
- In some cases, the University may offer pre-faculty general admission with an alternate program of study by the University while your application is being considered for admission to faculty or school program.
- Some programs require completion of university-level study as a pre-requisite for admission. These include those offered by the Faculty of Education, School of Pharmacy, School of Social Work, Marine Institute, and the Faculty of Medicine. The requirements for each program are provided in the related section of the online University Calendar.
Make sure you check the relevant deadlines for filing your application.
Identify and collect all required application materials
The basic undergraduate application should include the following items (ensure that your full name and date of birth or Memorial student number appears on all documents):
- General Undergraduate Application for Admission/Readmission
- Application to Memorial University is made through submission of the online application form (link provided in Step 3 below). A valid credit card (Visa or MasterCard) is required to submit an online application.
- Your full legal name, including your previous family name (if applicable) should appear with the spelling and in the order that appears on your passport or other government issued identification.
- Your mailing address should be complete and accurate.
- The email address you supply should be one you use regularly. Ensure your spam/junk filters permit you to receive messages from @mun.ca email accounts.
- The software for the online application supports only the English language.
- The secure account that you create to submit your application should not be used to submit an application for another individual.
- The application will prompt you to provide your personal information, complete academic background, requested program of study, and category of admission. Supplementary application or other forms may be required as indicated.
- Application Supporting Documents
- The Category of Admission section of the general application indicates what documents are required for admission under each category. Additional documents may be required for applications to certain programs and this advice is included on the related Supplementary Application Form or provided by the faculty or school separately.
- Where required, transcripts, test results, and other documents must be received by the Office of the Registrar directly from the issuing authority in order to be considered to be official.
- Where transcripts or other documents are issued in a language other than English, the original copy issued in the indigenous language is required along with a notarized English translation.
- Applicants attending, or who have attended, other recognized post-secondary institutions should check here for information regarding course outlines and other documentation requirements for transfer credit assessment.
- See a chart outlining the requirements for submitting transcripts here.
- Non-refundable application fee
- A $60 CAD application fee is required for all applicants.
- An additional $60 CAD application fee, for a total of $120 CAD, is required from the following individuals:
- Canadian applicants who have attended a post-secondary institution outside of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Non-Canadian (international) applicants.
- Proof of English proficiency
English is the primary language of instruction at Memorial University. All applicants are required to provide proof of English proficiency in order to meet the general admission requirements of the University. For detailed information regarding the requirements for proving English proficiency, please see the University Calendar.
Memorial University offers Intensive English Programs for individuals who do not yet meet English proficiency requirements and wish to complete further study in preparation for undergraduate admission. These programs are offered on the St. John's and Grenfell campuses.
Applicants may prove English proficiency by submitting an official report confirming achievement of a minimum score in one of a number of recognized standardized tests as follows:
- TOEFL - A minimum overall score of 79 on the internet-based test with at least 20 in each of reading and writing, and no less than 17 in listening and speaking. Memorial University's institution code is 0885.
- IELTS - A minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least band 6 in each of writing and reading.
- CAEL - Minimum band scores of between 50 and 60 in each of the four skills tested (reading, writing, listening, speaking), with at least two band scores of 60.
- CanTEST – Minimum band level 4.5 in the listening comprehension and reading comprehension sub-tests and a score of 4 in writing.
- Cambridge ESOL - A minimum of grade “B” in the Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or a minimum grade of “C” in the Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) are required.
- MELAB – Minimum score of 85% (or higher).
- PTE Academic - A minimum score of 58 in each of the reading, writing, listening, and speaking components of the PTE Academic is required.
Submit your application
|(Credit card payment using either Visa or MasterCard is required)
An Application Summary and Credit Card Receipt (see link for a sample) will be issued upon successful submission of an application.
- Please note that the credit card payment feature on the web application is available only from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. (Newfoundland time), Sunday through Friday. It is unavailable on Saturday. Click here for the current date and time in Newfoundland.
- Bookmark and save the link to the application, and note your login information, so that you can return to monitor the progress of your application after it is submitted.
If you are unable to apply online, contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com to inquire about your options.
Submit all supporting documents to:
|Office of the Registrar
P.O. Box 4200
St. John’s, NL A1C 5S7
Office of the Registrar
Arts and Administration Building
230 Elizabeth Ave.
St. John’s, NL A1C 5S7
Important Note: Memorial University will verify documents submitted in support of an application for admission, including letters of appraisal, transcripts, and degree certificates. Submission of falsified documents is considered a serious academic offense.
Already applied? Learn more about the process after you apply.