Student Employment

Approval Date:

Effective Date: 2013-11-05

Review Date: 2021-05-01

Vice-President (Administration and Finance) through the Director of Human Resources.

Save as Word Document  Add to Favorites


To provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to obtain employment and work experience at Memorial University.


All undergraduate and graduate students and those provisionally accepted into Memorial University for the next immediate academic semester. Students from other universities and colleges may be included.


Classified rate – The established rate of pay for a position as determined using the job evaluation system.

Graduate Assistantships - A contractual agreement between the University and a student for a specified number of hours of teaching and/or research support delivered within a particular period of time, such as an academic semester or part of a semester. Hours of work cannot exceed the maximum number of hours permitted to maintain full-time status as a graduate student unless otherwise approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies. See Collective Agreement for the Teaching Assistants' Union.

Graduate Student Support - Funds allocated bythe School of Graduate Studiesto academic units for student recipients who have achieved academic excellence (i.e. students do not have to work to receive this type of support).

GradSWEP -The Graduate Student Work Experience Program.

MUCEP - Memorial Undergraduate Career Experience Program

On-semester employment - Employment on a part-time basis (i.e. maximum of nineteen hours per week or less) where the student is classified by the Office of the Registrar as having full time status.

Off-semester employment - Part-time or full-time employment where the individual was registered full-time in the previous academic semester and is currently not registered full time or has been formally or provisionally accepted into Memorial for the immediate next semester.

Student Assistant – A university student employed by an academic or administrative unit.  Titles may include Student Assistant, Laboratory Demonstrator, Marker, IT Consultant, Student Supervisor, Terminal Assistant, or Writing Tutor. 

Work term Student – A student employed during their work term semester through the Division of Co-Operative Education.


The Department of Human Resources administers undergraduate student employment with the exception of the MUCEP Program which is administered by the Centre for Career Development within the Office of Student Affairs and Services.

The School of Graduate Studies administers graduate student employment including:

  1. Graduate Student Support
  2. Graduate Assistantships
  3. GradSWEP

For further information regarding these programs please contact the School of Graduate Studies

The University supports the employment of full time Memorial University students from operating funding where the following guidelines have been established:

 Student Employment under Operating Funding

  • Employment of students under operating funding includes students of Memorial University who are currently full time in an academic semester or were a full time student in the previous academic semester or individuals who are formally accepted or provisionally accepted as a student by Memorial University for the immediate next semester
  • Employing Units are required to verify the status of the recommended students prior to submitting the information to the Department of Human Resources (i.e. ensure students are in good academic standing and confirm enrolment in the previous two semesters or formal/provisional acceptance to Memorial for the following semester).

Student Employment under Grant Funding

  • Employment of students who are currently full-time in an academic semester or who were full-time in the previous academic semester at Memorial University, other universities, post-secondary colleges or high schools will be permitted to be employed under full grant funding at the applicable student rate or classified rate, subject to the discretion of the grant holder and with the concurrence of the appropriate Unit Head.

Hours of Work

  • The maximum number of hours a student may work in on-semester employment shall be a maximum of nineteen hours per week.
  • During off-semester employment, a student may work a maximum of forty hours per week at the applicable student rate. Hours above forty hours per week will be subject to overtime rates at one and one half regular student rates.

Rates of Pay

  • Rates of pay for undergraduate students, both during an academic semester as well an in an off-semester, are regardless of academic year of study;
  • Work term ratesfor students are standardized, based on academic program and year of study;
  • Payment of students will be on a bi-weekly basis for regularly scheduled hours. For students working irregular hours, the employing unit will submit hours of work on Miscellaneous Time Reports (MTRs) for payment.
  • All rates, with the exception of graduate student rates, are subject to payment of 4% vacation pay.

Employment of International Students

  • International students must be registered on a full time basis, be in possession of a valid student authorization (visa) in accordance with Section 10(a) of the Immigration Act, and have a current Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Requests to employ full-time Graduate Students should be forwarded to the Dean of Graduate Studies for approval whereby the School of Graduate Studies ensures that requests comply with established procedures for graduate student employment prior to submitting information to the Department of Human Resources for processing.

Part-time Graduate Students are paid a classified rate in accordance with the existing job evaluation system. Units employing graduate students at a classified rate arerequired to submit a completed Request to Fill a Position form, an Application for Non-Academic Employment and an Application for Direct Deposit to the Department of Human Resources.

Full-time graduate students can change their status to part-time in order to be eligible for full-time employment. Application to change status should be submitted to School of Graduate Studies.

Related Documents:

Application for Direct Deposit
Application for Non-Academic Employment
Centre for Career Development
Division of Co-operative Education
Memorial Undergraduate Career Experience Program (MUCEP)
Office of Student Affairs and Services
Request to Fill a Position
School of Graduate Studies
Student Employment Form
Student Employment Rates
Work Term/Internship Agreement form


For inquiries related to this policy:

Department of Human Resources 709-864-2434

Sponsor: Vice-President (Administration & Finance)

Category: People Resources

Previous Versions:

There is at least one previous version of this policy. Contact the Policy Office to view earlier version(s):

Approval Date:N/A, Effective Date:N/A


University Policies

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000