Please Enter a Search Term

International Student Advisor

Sonja Knutson

Sonja Knutson - Manager
International Student Advising Office
Corte Real, Room 1000A
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland
A1C 5S7

Phone: (709) 864-7991
Fax: (709) 864-6102

E-mail Sonja

She can help you with:

Immigration Advising

Including the transition from Student to Worker and Temporary Residence to Permanent Residence

Filing your Taxes

International students studying in Canada, should file a Canadian Income Tax Return. According to tax law, most international students are residents of Canada - even if your immigration status is temporary resident. You must complete the income tax form in the spring of each year.

Forms and guides, may be picked up at our local Taxation Centre, or at our office, or on-line at You can find out more information at For your first tax return, always send the form to the International Tax Office in Ottawa. We can give you the address when you need it.

A representative from Revenue Canada comes to campus each spring for an Income Tax Information Session. This session provides you with information you need to complete your tax forms and answers to your questions. Keep an eye on your e-mailbox as we will be sending out notifications regarding this session on our International Student List-serv.

Click here for Tax Tips.

Cultural Sensitivity Training

A 90 minute training session is available to front-line staff of the University who deal regularly with international students. The presentation provides cultural information and cross-cultural communication tips.

Health Insurance

All students in attendance at Memorial are required to have health insurance as a condition of their registration. Every year you must contact the International Student Advisor to let her know the period for which you will require coverage. For more information on health insurance, please see our Health Insurance page.

Back To Previous Page