Please Enter a Search Term

Gather documents and information



Welcome to the ISA's tax return completion guide. Here you will find step-by-step instructions to complete your tax foms. If you have arrived in Canada before January 1st, 2015; then you may file an income tax return. What are the benefits to filing an income tax return?


In order to start the process, you will need all the applicable documents that are listed below:

    • T4 Slip
      You would receive this slip if you have been working. Your employer is required to send you the T4 Slip on or before the last day of February following the calender year to which the slips apply.


    • T4A Slip
      This is only applicable to those who received a scholarship, fellowship, or grant.


    • T5 Slip
      T5 slip identifies the various types of investment income. If you have earned interest on your bank account, you would receive the slip by mail.


    • Offical tax receipts for donations and charity.


    • T2202A Statement
      You are eligible to download this slip from Memorial Self-Serive under Financial Information, if you have paid for tuition and textbooks.


    • Health Insurance Premiums
      This includes MUNSU, GSU, and Foreign Health Insurance fees. To get the accurate amount paid you need to visit Memorial Self-Serivce, Financial Information, View Account Summary by Term.


    • Metrobus Semester/Monthly Pass
      Register your m-card to get an official tax receipt. 10-ride passes are not eligible


    • Other Medical/Dental expenses that you paid.


    • Donations to registered charities and organizations
      Official tax receipts are required.


    • Safety Deposit Box Fee (if applicable)


    •  Notice of Assessment from CRA (applicable to repeat filers only)




In order to be able to file your taxes you need to have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or an Individual Tax Number (ITN). If you do not have either of these, you need to apply for an Individual Tax Number.


If you have filed a tax return in Canada before and have a valid social insurance number, you can submit your returning using NETFILE at If this is your first time filing you will have to mail your tax return to the International Tax Office in Ottawa. Follow the instructions on our website.


Your user name and password. Write it down somewhere on the tax documents that you keep.


Your bank information to set up "Direct Deposit": bank account number, branch number and institution number.


Your mailing address including the postal code. This address should be the address where you want to receive your Notice of Assessment in (May or June). This is the result of your income tax return.


If you are planning to print your return during the tax session, make sure you have deposited money onto your student ID card to pay for the printing.


For more information about Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN), please check the links on the left-hand side of this page.

Proceed to the next step, after you have collected all the applicable documents.

Home Next