Please Enter a Search Term

NL Driver's License



  1. Newfoundland and Labrador Driver's License

    • Check if A, B or C applies to you:

    • A. If you do not have a valid driver's license from your home country:

      Step 1 - Apply for a learner's permit

      You are required to show the required identification and pass a written test and a vision test. You don't need to make an appointment for these tests. The hours in which you can write are between 9:00 am and 3:30 pm. See below for required identification.

      • Written test - You will be tested on the Road Users Manual. The exam will be graded while you wait. The passing grade is 85%. A manual can be purchased for $2.30 or get it online.

      • Vision test - You must pass the eye exam.

      • If you are under 19, you will require your parent's signature.

      Step 2 - After 12 months, you may take your road test. (If you complete an approved driver education course you can take the road test in 8 months). During those 12 months, you must have one other licensed driver with four years experience in the vehicle with you. No other passengers are allowed in the vehicle with you.

      • Schedule a road test and pay for it prior to your twelve month date. To book a road test call 729-2519.
      • If you do not have a car to do the road test you may book a car through a driver training program, such as YDC.
      • Bring your payment receipt to the road test.

    • B. If you have a valid driver's license from the United States, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, The U.K (excluding Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Korea , then your existing license is valid for 3 months upon arrival. You can exchange your existing license for a Class 5 Newfoundland driver's license without taking a written, vision or road test provided: you are 17 years of age, your existing license is valid, and your license, if expired, has been for less than 5 years.

    • C. If you have a valid driver's license from another country, you must complete a written, vision and road test. You will be given credit for the time spent as a licensed driver and may be exempted from the Graduated Driver Licensing Program. Please note that this applies even if you have an International Driver's License. If you wish to complete your Road Test before one year you will have to exchange your driver's license from your home country.

    • Fees

      • Written/Vision Test: $5
      • Learning permit: $40
      • Road test: $60
      • Permanent License: $125

      Fees are subject to change so check their website.

  2. Newfoundland and Labrador Photo Identification Card

    If you do not want a driving license but just want a Newfoundland and Labrador Photo Identification Card the fee for that is $25. Bring the required identification as listed below.

  3. Other Information

    A. Documentation required for learner's permit, photo identification card or exchange of foreign Driver's license

    B. You need two pieces of identification:

    1. At least one piece of identification must be an original (or certified) primary document as listed below.

    2. The second can be an original primary or secondary document as listed below.


    • Birth Certificate*

    • Passport

    • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card

    • Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification

    • Federal Firearms Identification Card

    • Photo Driver's License (from another jurisdiction)

    • Photo Identification Card issued by Motor Registration Division

    • Citizenship, Immigration, Naturalization, or Canadian Landed Resident papers
    *If the name on the birth certificate is not your current name, you will require another original of documents such as a marriage certificate which specifies your current name.


    • Baptismal Certificate (with church seal)

    • Marriage Certificate

    • Social Insurance Card

    • Credit Card

    • School Identification Card (photograph: Newfoundland and Labrador schools only)

    • Indian Status Card (with photograph)

    • Government Identification Card (Newfoundland and Labrador )

    • MCP Card

    • Health Care Board Card (Newfoundland and Labrador only)

    • or other documentation satisfactory to the Registrar

  4. How to get to Motor Vehicle Registration

    • Cab fare is about $25 (Approx) from campus.

    • If you want to go by bus then you should take route 1 from MUN (Arts and Administration building, Elizabeth Avenue, the Village Mall. Ask driver for a transfer. From the Village Mall you should take Route 21. Ask the bus driver to let you know when you get to motor vehicle registration!

  5. Contact Information