Please Enter a Search Term

Work Off Campus


Many students have concerns regarding their eligibility to work campus. The following announcement is made on behalf of the licensed immigration consultant, Yvonne Myers who is currently working with the ISA office.

Students who have permits dated prior to June 1, 2014 need to do the following in order to work off campus. To apply for a letter of confirmation to take to Service Canada for a Social Number you must complete a case specific enquiry form.

How to receive a confirmation letter to work off campus

New rules for international students have taken effect on June 1, 2014.

If you have been issued a study permit before June 1, 2014, you need a letter confirming your ability to work off campus to obtain a Social Insurance Number  from Service Canada.

To get this letter, you must use the email form  and provide the necessary information/documents . You should receive it within 30 business days.

For more information on the new regulations for international students, please visit the CIC website  .

Even if you have a SIN you still need to get the confirmation letter as this is the validation you require to work off campus and satisfy the requirements of an employer.

Students who have permits dated after June 1, 2014, and for which there is no indication on the permit that they can work 20 hours a week off campus need to apply for an amended study permit. If this has happened a mistake has been made.

Link to the process to correct/amend study permit is:

Request to Amend the Record of Landing

If there is an error on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must send a Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or valid Temporary Resident documents (IMM 1436) to the Operations Support Centre (OSC) in Ottawa, Ontario, to have the error corrected. The application is available on the CIC website

Please note that this service is free.

To find out how long it may take to process your application, please visit the CIC webiste.