Please Enter a Search Term

Medical Care Plan (MCP)

As an international student studying in Canada, you may be eligible for provincial medical care coverage called MCP (Medical Care Plan). If you are eligible for MCP, you must apply for coverage.

To be eligible for MCP:

  • you must have a valid study permit for 12 months or longer
  • be attending a post secondary institution in Newfoundland and Labrador as a full-time student


    • If you have recently renewed your Study Permit AND it was issued for less than 12 months, bring your old Study Permit with your new one to MCP, which will prove you have been continuously on a Study Permit for more than 12 months.
    • If your spouse and/or children join you, they will not automatically be eligible for MCP. They will also need a document proving that they have temporary residence for a period of 12 months or more, and are your dependents.
    • If renewing a document: keep your receipt of payment and your X-Press post tracking receipt. If your permit expires before you receive your new one, MCP may consider the two receipts as proof that you applied for your new permit and issue you a temporary MCP card. If you are in this situation, you can visit contact the MCP office for more information.


To apply for your MCP card
Bring your Study Permit, passport, updated enrolment verification letter (different from your acceptance letter), and your completed MCP application form to the MCP office at 45 Major's Path: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Or mail this information to:

Medical Care Plan
45 Major’s Path
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6

To request an updated letter of enrollment, log in to your Memorial Self Service. If you are an ESL student, visit the ESL Office on the 3rd floor of Spencer Hall.

Using your MCP card
Always show it to the doctor/hospital instead of the Foreign Health card. Different (much lower) fee rates apply to MCP patients.

 MCP Coverage

  • visits to a physician's office, hospital or beneficiary's residence (whether the problem is related to a chronic or emergency condition)
  • surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, including anaesthesia
  • pre- and post-operative care
  • complete maternity care
  • radiology interpretive services
  • certain surgical-dental procedures which are medically necessary to be performed in hospital by a dentist or oral surgeon 

When can you not use MCP
MCP for international students may not cover costs incurred outside the Province, or costs incurred while one is not in possession of a valid immigration document. To find out if you are covered in such situations, contact the MCP office.

For more information on what is and is not covered, visit