Please Enter a Search Term

Family Tax Benefits

As a parent in Canada, you may be eligible to receive tax benefits after you have been in Canada for 18 months.

Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

The Canada child benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age. The CCB might include the child disability benefit and any related provincial and territorial programs.

The Canada Revenue Agency uses information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate how much your CCB payments will be. To get the CCB, you have to file your return every year, even if you did not have income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return every year.

Benefits are paid over a 12-month period from July of one year to June of the next year. Your benefit payments will be recalculated every July based on information from your income tax and benefit return from the previous year.

For international student families to be eligible:

  1. You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
  2. You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
  3. You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
  4. You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
  • Canadian citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • a protected person
  • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month

Canada Child Benefit - How To Apply

For further information regarding application and eligibility, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.