Resumes, Curriculum Vitaes (CV) and Cover Letters
What is a Resume and when do I use it?
- Used for job search & usually 1-2 pages (click here for an example)
- Provides an overview of your experiences to date (education, work experience, volunteering, skills, interests, hobbies).
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing Guide - Explains how to develop a resume and cover letter & gives examples to help you understand the different sections
- Action Verbs: How do you describe your work or volunteer experience? Action verbs will help you design your sections and describe your duties.
What is a Cover Letter and when do I use it?
- 1 page letter that you send with a résumé when applying for a job.
- Addresses the position you are applying for/the employer you are applying to and why you are interested in the position (click here for an example)
- Describes the reasons you are applying, the skills you have to do the position and adds a personal touch to your application
- Cover Letter samples and tips to develop or update your cover letter
What is a Cirriculum Vitae (CV) and when do I use it?
- Used for academic job search or continued research, schooling or experiece in the acdemic field; not used for job search in industry.
- CV is to present a complete picture of the breadth and depth of academic experiences you have accumulated
- Lists publications, presentations, teaching experiences, honors, grants, and dissertation abstracts.
- CV's can be 2 - 10 pages, no limit on length if organized correctly.
- Cirriculum Vitae Writing Guide & Teaching Dossiers
If you have questions or would like to have your resume/cover letter critiqued, please contact Ying Zhang via email: email@example.com