Professional Development Information
Better Business Writing: The Right Approach
Learn or revisit the basics of business writing and improve your written communication skills.
Better Business Writing teaches the basics of grammar and punctuation and demonstrates writing techniques appropriate for today's business environment. The seminar emphasizes common writing challenges and teaches proper use of writing approach, tone, document structure, word choice, grammar, and punctuation to ensure that the message is effective and suited to the audience.
Participants engage in practice exercises and activities to prepare written documents incorporating the techniques learned and receive feedback from fellow participants and the instructor. This interactive learning environment provides the opportunity for immediate improvements in writing style and technique.
- Understanding writing fundamentals
- Using grammar and punctuation
- Exploring word choice and its impact
- Identifying writing considerations: audience, purpose, message
- Writing with a direct and indirect approach
- Using visual set-up image
- Writing techniques for business correspondence - letters, memos, reports
- Protocols when using email
Continuing Education Contact Hours: 7
This is a module in the Professional Communication Skills Program.
-It was an excellent experience. Great information. Lynn is an engaging instructor and certainly makes the material interesting.
-"No matter how well you can write, this seminar will make you better at it."
-"This seminar was even more valuable than I expected! Lynn is fantastic with a wealth of knowledge to share with today's communicators."
- Improve quality of documents
- Strengthen written communication skills
- Gain confidence in planning and preparing written documents
- Understand the impact of writing style
- Enhance electronic communication skills and understand protocols
- Improve document review and editing skills
- Learn to adapt your writing style to suit the audience
- Project a positive organizational image
- Introduce current writing standards
- Improve productivity: employees spend less time struggling with writing
- Promote clear, concise, and effective organizational communications
- Improve the organizations business documentation
Who Should Attend
Managers, supervisors and professionals who want to learn or refresh business writing skills.
Lynn Morrissey has over 25 years' experience as a facilitator, consultant, and educator. She has taught academic courses in communications, organizational behaviour, and human resources, at the Faculty of Business Administration, Memorial University. She has received many awards for her contributions including the Deans Teaching Award, the Deans Service Award, the Deans Citizenship Award, the Presidents Award for Distinguished Teaching and most recently the Queen`s Diamond Jubilee Medal (2012).
Lynn has a long-standing relationship with Gardiner Centre, instructing professional development seminars that focus on various fields of workplace communications and facilitation skills. Lynn's industry experience includes writing training and development strategies, developing training plans, leading performance development processes, conducting communications reviews, facilitating strategy sessions, and executive coaching.
In her 'spare time' Lynn is also Faculty Advisor for Enactus (formerly SIFE) Memorial, an international student organization focusing on enhancing entrepreneurial skills and community development. Under Lynn's mentorship, the Enactus Memorial team has consistently achieved top awards and accolades at both the national and international levels. In 2007 Lynn was awarded the John Dobson Faculty Advisor of the Year in Canada for her work with her Enactus team.