For Undergraduate Students
Tips to maximize your session at the Writing Centre:
- Come before your assignment's due date. Earlier is always better. A tutor's suggestions may take time to implement. "Last minute" tutorials are frustrating for everyone concerned! Also, our tutors get booked up quickly and are not always available on short notice.
- Bring along any helpful materials. If you are working on an assignment, bring along your draft, a copy of your professor's instructions, and the work or works about which you are writing. If you want to go over a graded assignment, please bring your professor's comments.
- We are here to help you become a better writer - not to ensure that you produce a perfect paper. Improving one's writing takes time and commitment, so come early in the semester and feel free to return as often as necessary!
- Please arrive on time. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, your appointment will be cancelled and the tutor will work with a drop-in student waiting for help.
- The Writing Centre is not an editing service. We do not copy edit papers; instead, we teach you the skills you need to become a better writer.
To make an appointment, simply drop by the Writing Centre (room SN2053 on the second floor of the Science Building) or call 864-3168.
To make an appointment at The Commons, drop by The Commons desk in the QEII Library or call 864-6159.
Booking your appointment well in advance increases your chances of getting the appointment time you want.