Evening Thesis Writing Group
Research shows that graduate students find it easier to complete their dissertations when they write regularly and are part of a supportive writing group. Small groups keep writers accountable and foster a sense of community. With this in mind, the Writing Centre and School of Graduate Studies are hosting an evening thesis writing group in the Winter 2020 semester.
If you are a graduate student who is looking for a distraction-free place to write, and if you can commit to a consistent writing schedule, then this group is for you. Students will meet for three hours on Tuesday evenings at the Writing Centre (SN2053). The bulk of the time will be devoted to writing, followed by a short group discussion at the end of each session. All meetings will be facilitated by a member of the Writing Centre staff.
- The writing group is a full, 12-week commitment.
- Students are encouraged to meet with their supervisors prior to the writing group to establish goals.
- Students should arrive with all materials needed. This includes laptops (fully charged), books, articles, notes, etc.
- Students should establish personal goals and measure achievements at the start and end of each day.
- The writing group is intended to give students the opportunity to generate text, not to perfect it.
- Students are expected to ensure a quiet space for everyone and avoid loud conversations during writing sessions.
Important: Tutoring sessions will not be offered during the group meetings. The writing group is not designed to provide intensive writing assistance, or to help students improve their academic English. It is a space and time to come together to write independently, as part of a supportive group of cross-disciplinary peers. Staff will be available to answer specific questions and offer encouragement to students.
Email email@example.com with your name, student number, degree, academic unit, and a brief description outlining your current writing stage and the reason you would like to participate in the Evening Thesis Writing Group.