FAQs for Employers Interested in Hiring International Students or Graduates

Are you an employer interested in hiring a MUN international student or MUN international graduate? Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions.

What documents can confirm students' eligibility to work in Canada?
  1. Study permit and its conditions
  2. Social Insurance Number

How many hours may students work off-campus for?

Undergraduate students

  • Part-time work: up to 20 hrs / week during academic sessions.
  • Full-time work: up to 40 hrs / week during scheduled breaks (e.g. summer or winter break.
  • Students who have maintained full-time status for the duration of their program of study, and who only require a part-time course load in their final academic session in order to complete their program of study, may work off-campus up to 20 hrs / week during their final academic session.

Graduate students

  • Can work off-campus only up to 20 hrs / week.

Are graduates eligible to work while they are waiting to receive their post-graduation work permit? 

Per paragraph R186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, graduates who apply for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit, before the expiry of their study permit are eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application if all of the following apply:

  • They are or were the holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application.
  • They have completed their program of study.
  • They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 6 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate).
  • They did not exceed the allowable hours of work under paragraph R186(v).

If full-time undegraduate students are taking courses during the summer (regularly scheduled break), can they still work full-time?

Students who are enrolled full-time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break, and who decided to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break, are eligible to work off-campus on a full-time basis.

If students have just finished a program, are off for the summer, and are starting another program at the same or at a different educational institution in the fall, can they work full-time during the summer?

Yes, if the students:

  1. Were full-time students before they finished the program, and will remain full-time students when they start the new program.
  2. Both educational institutions are DLI institutions (designated learning institutions).
  3. They have a valid study permit, or they submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay, or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired.
  4. The break between the two programs is no longer than 150 days.

[Confirmed by RCIC (R517405)]


Student Life

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000