Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I go to socialize with other LGBTQ+ people?
There are many places in this city to get LGBTQ+ socials, such as:

MUN SAGA Resource Centre
Trans Support Group
Asexual/Aromatic Support Group
PFLAG Newfoundland and Labrador
Parents of Trans and Gender Diverse Children
How can I change my name on campus?

To change your name and prefix used on your file, please email the Office of the Registrar at Email them stating whether your legal name is changed, what your “preferred name” is, and what your prefix is.

It will take about a week to get everything changed over
It is important to note that the name on mail correspondence and your transcript can’t be changed without your legal name changed.
If you have any difficulties or suggestions with how to improve this system, please email them to
What do I do if I experience discrimination on campus?
Firstly, if you are experiencing discrimination at any point, it is not your fault. You should never have to deal with discrimination, but in case you do have to, here are some options on what you can do:

Make an appointment with the Director of Advocacy or the Queer or Trans Reps, if you are an undergraduate student
Speak to the Head of the Department you are taking the class in. They may be able to do something to help you in this situation.
Speak to the Director of Student Life about options you have. (If this is correct)
If all else fails, you may go to the Human Rights Commission with your complaint.
I need support. Is there anywhere I can go?

Intersections Resource Centre (UC1009), MUN SAGA Resource Centre (UC6022), and MUN MINDS (UC6017) have trained peer counsellors
The Student Wellness and Counselling Centre has many trained counsellors and they also have walk-in services. Fifth Floor of the University Centre.
Trans Support Group, Asexual/Aromatic Support Group, Sex Worker Support Group (UC 1009)
PFLAG meets on the third Thursday of every month from 7:30-9:30 at 12-16 Carter Hills Place (Choices for Youth Shelter)
Trans Lifeline - 1(877) 330-6366
Sexual Assault Crisis Line (24 hr) - (709) 726-1411
Mental Health Crisis Line (24hr / Toll-Free) - 1-888-737-4668


Student Life

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000