BSW Field Education
Each student will be involved in two field practicum experiences. It is typical that one experience occurs in a rural area and the other in an urban setting.
The final decision regarding a student's practicum setting rests with a BSW Field Education Coordinator.
The procedures associated with setting up and completing field practica and the expectations and evaluation of these experiences are presented in the BSW Field Education Manual (December 2020).
Field Practicum Preparation Seminars
In the semesters prior to their first internship, students are required to register and participate in six field preparation seminars. These seminars review the field practicum requirements, aid students in writing resumes and preparing for interviews, and discuss ethics, professionalism, and respectful workplaces. Students who do not complete all six seminars may be delayed in starting their practicum.
COVID-19 Field Practicum Information
- Social Work Field Practicum COVID-19 Information: Questions and Answers (August 2020)
- Field Practicum COVID-19 Information Session for Social Work Students – Fall 2020 (August 2020)
- Field Practicum COVID-19 Information Session for Social Work Field Instructors and Agency Mentors – Fall 2020 (September 2020)
Orientations for BSW Field Practica (Students)
- BSW Field Orientation for Students - First Practicum (SCWK 3300)
- BSW Field Orientation for Students - Second Practicum (SCWK 4302)
Orientations for BSW Field Practica (Field Instructors)
- BSW Field Orientation for Field Instructors - First Practicum (SCWK 3300)
- BSW Field Orientation for Field Instructors - Second Practicum (SCWK 4302)
Intern Placement Tracking (IPT)
IPT is our database that students, field instructors, and field education coordinators use prior to and throughout student practica for completion of applications for field practica, student brief resumes, learning contracts, evaluations and more.
- BSW IPT Manual (September 2020)
- IPT Login Page
- Tutorial Video: Getting Started with IPT (September 2020)
- Tutorial Video: Completing Forms in IPT (September 2020)
How To Become a Field Instructor
To provide field instruction to a BSW student, social workers must have completed a BSW or an MSW with 2 years post-BSW/MSW social work employment experience.
Field Instructor Course for Social Workers
Please contact Lisa Muise email@example.com at the School of Social Work for details.