• Valid study permits for students undertaking academic programs will typically have a remark on them indicating that the student is permitted to work on and off campus provided they met the eligibility criteria outlined in section 186 of the Immigration, Refugee and Protection Regulations (IRPR). If this remark is written on the study permit, then a student can obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN). For information on how to apply for a SIN, please review step seven of these instructions.
  • If the remark is not on your study permit, then you will not be able to obtain a SIN until you amend your study permit. This can impact your ability to receive your funding as well as begin working as a graduate assistant or in other employment. You will need a SIN to work in Canada. The process to amend your study permit is a simple but lengthy process – it can take up to 4 months.
  • To help reduce the likelihood that your study permit will be printed without a remark allowing you to work, you may wish, at the time of applying for your study permit, to indicate in a letter of explanation that your primary intention in coming to Canada is to study but that you may wish to avail of part-time student employment opportunities. As such you will need a SIN and request that your study permit indicate your ability to work. As your study permit is printed at the port of entry when you enter Canada, you may decide to indicate this intention to the border officer as well. It is important that when you arrive, you check your study permit to see if a remark is printed permitting you to engage in employment.
  • Refer to the Internationalization Office website for information how to prepare for arrival to one of Memorial University’s campuses.


School of Graduate Studies

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000