Study Tips for Distance Students
The role of the student is to assume responsibility for his or her own learning and to participate in the course activities. It is important that the student uses effective time management and study skills to be successful in the courses.
Here are some tips for studying effectively by distance:
- Make sure your study environment is well lit, quiet, and comfortable.
- Plan your study time. Establish a schedule and stick to it.
- Let family and friends know that you are unavailable during your scheduled study time.
- Take care of yourself. Good nutrition, exercise, and adequate sleep are important for you to work effectively.
- Reward yourself when you have completed your task successfully.
- Recharge your intellectual batteries. Take time for a movie. Read something not related to your studies.
- Create a social network for support.
The following sites provide good resources for learners regarding study skills, time management, and other key components for success.
Learning at a Distance, Distance Education and Learning Technologies, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Learning to Learn
Mind Tools. Site for time management, stress management, communication skills, problem-solving techniques, improving your memory, and other skills.