To be considered for admission applicants must have:
1. A baccalaureate Degree in nursing from an accredited program in Canada, or an equivalent from an institution recognized by the University, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B).
2. A minimum grade of B (65%) in both the undergraduate statistics course and undergraduate nursing research course.
3. A minimum of 1950 clinical hours (Practicum option) or 3900 clinical hours (Nurse Practitioner and Graduate Diploma options) earned by the application due date.
4. For the Practicum option applicants must hold a practising licence and be in good standing from the College of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador or must be currently registered and be in good standing as a practising nurse in another Canadian jurisdiction. Applicants from other countries who do not meet the above criteria will be assessed on an individual basis.
5. Since all clinical placements are completed at a clinical setting in Newfoundland and Labrador, applicants to the Nurse Practitioner and Graduate Diploma options must hold a practicing licence and be in good standing from the College of Registered Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador. Applicants from outside the province or country will not be considered.
6. If the medium of instruction of your previous degree was not exclusively English, then scores from one of the English Language Proficiency tests as outlined in the university calendar will be required.
7. In addition to requirements 1 -6 listed above, candidates seeking admission to the Graduate Diploma program must hold a Master's Degree in Nursing from an accredited program in Canada, or an equivalent from an institution recognized by the University, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B).
Please note that for both the MScN (Nurse Practitioner option) and Graduate Diploma program applicants must be residents of Newfoundland and Labrador. Out of province applicants will not be considered for the Fall 2022 intake.
Only in exceptional circumstances and only on the recommendation of the Faculty of Nursing shall the Dean of Graduate Studies consider applicants who do not meet the admission requirements listed above.
The deadline for our Fall 2022 intake is February 15, 2022. Late applications will not be considered. To apply you must:
1. Complete an online application. Note when selecting your Grad Program Route that the Practicum Option = Course Route.
Applicants are strongly discouraged from applying to the practicum option with hopes of transferring to the nurse practitioner option as requests for transfers are very rarely granted as space in the NP option is limited. Students who are interested in the NP option should apply to the NP option.
2. Provide one academic and one professional reference. Acceptable academic references include current or previous course professors, either for your undergraduate degree(s) or any post-BN college/University course(s) you have completed. Clinical educators/preceptors are not considered an appropriate academic reference.
If it has been a number of years since you attended university and/or you have not completed any post-BN courses, you can find a second professional reference that can speak to your critical thinking skills, writing skills, analysis and application of evidence into practice, and ability to learn complex material. This referee should have this as the focus, rather than clinical skills.
Acceptable professional references include current or former supervisors or managers. Colleagues (e.g., RNs or MDs in your unit) are not considered acceptable professional references.
3. Upload transcripts from all post-secondary studies, excluding those completed at Memorial University.
4. Complete a Faculty of Nursing application (which includes a personal statement). The application can be uploaded under "Graduate Nursing Student Application" and the personal statement can be uploaded under "CV".
5. Upload proof of clinical hours in the form of letter(s) from your employer(s) or a screenshot from your nursing regulatory body.
Please note that if your application is missing any of the above information it will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for admission.
If you have any questions about the application process please contact the Faculty of Nursing at email@example.com.