The Spark Fund is a fund for first-time student entrepreneurs at Memorial University.
If you are new to entrepreneurship and need some guidance to get started, this fund is for you.
We'll help you use up to $500 to test the potential of your idea and you'll receive mentoring on how to maximize the effectiveness of the money you spend and increase the learning per dollar spent.
"The best way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing"
- Student teams or individuals of whom at least 50% are enrolled at Memorial University
- Have completed a lean canvas for your idea
- Applicants must be working on/in pre-revenue startups with no sales and have not received any government or private funding (Family/own funding is acceptable).
- Have not yet taken advantage of the Spark, Ignite, or Mel Woodward Cup Funding for the same or similar business idea.
- The use of funds is not limited to certain eligible expenses but make sure to check what expense categories MCE funding won’t cover here.
Eligibility will be determined at the sole discretion of the Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship.
Dates & Deadlines for Spring 2021:
Applications are now open and we will have continuous in-take until the funding for the Spring 2021 semester has been fully awarded to students.
How to apply
- Submit a one-minute video OR audio pitch of the idea (selfie videos from your phone are accepted).
- Complete a lean canvas for the idea
- Complete the timeline template
- Explain the suggested use of funds
A decision will be made on each application no later than four business days after the application is received. If you need help with completing the lean canvas, book a meeting with us here.