Anchors are helpful in organizing questions and answers, or an alphabetized list.
When a visitor to your site clicks on the anchors' in-text link, they will automatically be directed to the adjoining anchor found lower on the page.
To see an example of anchors in action, check out this page which contains the FAQs for the Signal Hill Campus. Notice how when you click on a question, you are automatically directed to the answer on the same page. This was achieved using anchors!
To set up an anchor:
- Inside of the WYSIWYG editor, place your cursor where you want to create the anchor (in the case of questions and answers, the anchor would be in front of the answer).
- Click the anchor icon.
- Give the anchor a name*.
- Click "insert" (a yellow anchor iconwill appear in the editor).
- Highlight the text you wish to link to the anchor (In the case of question and answers, this is the question).
- Click the link icon.
- In the "Anchors" dropdown menu, select the name of the anchor you added.
- Click "Insert".
- Save your changes.
A few notes:
- Anchor names need to be all lowercase letters, short and contain no spaces
- Anchor names form the end of the publicly viewable URL