Finances for grad students

All Ph.D. students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents are also required to apply for Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) doctoral fellowships; any eligible students who do not apply, by the beginning of their second year in the Ph.D. program, will not be considered for Memorial University graduate support.

Research grant funding may be awarded to graduate students who assist faculty members in their research projects. Availability of such funding is dependent on the level of support given by granting agencies to a faculty member for hiring student research assistants, and will vary from year to year. This funding may supplement awards combining graduate fellowships and assistantships, although significant support from research grant funding may affect allocations under these headings. Any support received from faculty research grants should be declared by students on the report form filled out each semester.


Department of Linguistics

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000