Change of Status

If you arrived in Canada as an international student but have recently become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant) then you must change your status with University administration. Charges for tuition and Foreign Health are connected with your residency status.

To change your status:

  1. Make an appointment to see Arif Abu in the Internationalization Office. You can make an appointment by using your student life portal 
  2. When you meet with Arif, bring with you photocopies and originals of the following documents:
    • Permanet Resident card
    • OR Landed certificate
  3. Natasha will validate the documents by signing the photocopies and highlighting the effective date.
  4. Bring validated photocopies to the Cashier's Office, Arts and Administration Building A1023 if undergraduate student; or to School of Graduate Studies, Bruneau Centre if graduate student.

NOTE: At the point that your status is changed in the University system, your differential tuition fees for that semester will be dropped.

Your Foreign Health fee, however, will only be dropped for that semester if you become a PR before the end of the opt out deadline (usually after the first two weeks of classes). If you become a PR half way through the semester, you will be required to keep the Foreign Health Insurance for that semester. But for the following semester, you will be charged the Canadian health fee. If you have any questions about this, email



Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000