Learning Abroad

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Notice

While the risk of COVID-19 to Newfoundland and Labrador residents remains low, Memorial has re-established a Pandemic Preparedness Committee (PPC), last constituted during the H1N1 pandemic. The committee is directed by the Office of the Chief Risk Officer. The committee will work with the provincial Department of Health and Community Services(HCS) and has overarching responsibility for managing the response to a possible pandemic.

To share accurate information about COVID-19 and the university’s response, Memorial has created a dedicated resource with the latest information as it pertains to the virus in the context of Memorial University of Newfoundland. The page also includes an overview of the COVID-19 risk, prevention information, and risks to the community.

Learning Abroad Options

As a student at Memorial University, you have various options to pursue learning abroad experiences:

  1. On exchange with one of our university partners
  2. As part of a faculty-lead study abroad program with one of our specific departments within our faculties and schools
  3. As a student taking leave from Memorial and travelling (with permission) as a visiting, fees-paying student at another global university
  4. As part of your co-op work placements
  5. On a research-based experience abroad.
ExchangeSpend one or two semesters at a partner university abroad while earning credits toward your MUN degree and paying MUN tuition fees. You can choose from 120+ universities in 40+ countries. We recommend you to select top three destinations when you apply for an exchange program.
UArctic north2north exchangeGet knowledge and experience on Northern/Arctic issues via UArctic north2north exchange. You can spend a semester in one of the UArctic member institutions in Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and the United States.
MUN campus in the UKSpend a semester in Harlow, Memorial University's international campus in the United Kingdom.

Senior undergraduate and graduate students can apply for Mitacs Globalink Research Award to conduct 12–24-week research projects at universities in Australia, Brazil, China, EU member countries, Israel, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Recent graduates can participate in the International Youth Internship Program that offers 6-month internships in Belize, Tanzania, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines.

International Aboriginal Youth Internship offers 4-month internships in Belize for indigenous peoples of Canada.

International work term placementMemorial co-op students can have work term placements not only in Canada, but also in international locations. Get inspired by the experience of engineering students who recently completed their work terms in India.
Language programImmerse yourself into a language of your choice via one of the programs coordinated by the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
Summer schoolIf you are looking for a short-term program, consider one of the summer schools offered by MUN international partners.


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000