New International Student Self-Isolation Bursary
What is the intention of this bursary?
Many new students who arrived in Canada after June 15th, 2021 had to self-isolate at a hotel or Airbnb, due to lack of on-campus self-isolation accommodations.
Because of the significant price difference between hotels and the Signal Hill Campus isolation option, Memorial is offering a one-time self-isolation bursary of $850.00, to offset the cost for new students who had to isolate at a hotel or Airbnb and arrived in Newfoundland after June 15th, 2021.
Who is not eligible?
- Students who self-isolated on-campus in student residences (Signal Hill, Macpherson College, Burton’s Pond, and Grenfell), as Memorial already subsidized those costs for students.
- Students who self-isolated in private accommodations/residences, such as a long-term rental apartment.
- Returning international students, defined for self-isolation purposes as someone who is traveling from outside of Canada, who has previously attended Memorial University in person and resided in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador for the purpose of studies (i.e. St. John's or Corner Brook - Grenfell Campus). Returning students are not eligible for the bursary, as they are not required to isolate on-campus or at a hotel/Airbnb.
- Fully vaccinated students who were exempt from federal and provincial quarantine are not eligible, as they were not required to self-isolate, even if they stayed in a hotel upon arrival in Canada.
- Students who arrived in Canada prior to June 15th, 2021.
Who is eligible?
- Be a registered MUN student in the Fall 2021 semester, as of September 22th, 2021. New students arriving for Winter 2022 must be registered as of January 20th, 2022 (registration period ends).
- Must be a new international student to Memorial. For self-isolation purposes, a new international student is defined as someone who is traveling from outside of Canada, who has never resided in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador for the purpose of studies i.e. St. John's or Corner Brook (Grenfell Campus).
- Student did not meet federal quarantine exemption requirements upon arrival in Canada, and had to quarantine/self-isolate upon arrival in Canada for 14 days.
- Has a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN), as the bursary is taxable income.
- Can provide proof of payment for a 14 day Hotel or Airbnb stay (or a combination of stays equaling 14 days, such as those who had a layover in another province).
- Arrived/arriving in Canada after June 15th 2021.
- Unable to self-isolate in one of Memorial’s Campuses (St. John’s Campus Student Residences, Signal Hill Campus, Grenfell Campus) for a valid reason (such as no availability, traveling with family, accessibility issues, etc.).
- Completed the Memorial Arrivals Form, submitted flight information and quarantine plan to self-isolation team, received confirmation email and supporting documents to travel.
- Completed quarantine/self-isolation period and abided by all self-isolation and quarantine requirements (did not leave isolation/quarantine, completed peer support check-ins, and followed all directions from the self-isolation team)
Please note the following:
- If you meet the eligibility criteria above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (Grenfell students) with the following information:
- Full name
- MUN student number
- Campus (St. John’s, Grenfell, Marine Institute)
- SIN number
- Proof of payment for hotel/Airbnb
- The self-isolation team will submit students information who are eligible based on the above criteria to the cashier’s office for processing, once self-isolation/quarantine is complete.
- You must provide proof of payment for a 14 day quarantine stay at a hotel or Airbnb. A booking confirmation is not sufficient unless accompanied by a credit card or bank statement showing payment.
- Students must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) as the bursary is considered taxable income. You can apply for a SIN here.
- Students will receive the bursary on their student account on Memorial Self-Service, to be used towards tuition and fees.
- The bursary will not be given to students in advance, as it is determined upon arrival at the border if you are exempt from federal quarantine, and proof of hotel/Airbnb payment is required.
- If students choose to leave Canada and then return, you will not be eligible for the bursary a second time (new arrivals in Canada only).
- It may take several weeks before the bursary is available in your student account.
Students who have arrived for Spring or Fall 2021 and have a current SIN number should submit their SIN number and proof of hotel/Airbnb payment to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (Grenfell students) as soon as possible.
The deadline for submitting SIN and proof of payment for students who arrived in Canada for Spring or Fall 2021 is December 31, 2021.
New students arriving for Winter 2022 should submit their SIN and proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (Grenfell students) as soon as possible, especially those arriving in December.