St. John's Walk
Cabot House*. This row of three cottages was converted in the early 1960s into a single building which housed the home and dental surgery of Dr. P.S. Arbon. The English Heritage description of this Grade II listed building dates it as mid-19th century, but the late architectural historian David Lloyd suggested it is at least a century older than this, making it early Georgian. It was purchased as a student residence by Memorial University in 1995 and re-named Cabot House in 1997, the 50th anniversary of the founding of Harlow New Town and the 500th Anniversary of the discovery of Newfoundland by John Cabot.
The Maltings. The main building of the Memorial University of Newfoundland campus was Harlow’s most modern maltings, built in the late 1870s. Note that it is not shown on the 1875 O.S. map. During the Second World War the then-disused building was taken over by the
de Havilland Aircraft Corporation and converted to a machine shop. The Harlow Tailoring Service was located in premises attached to the western end of the Maltings from the mid-1950s and both Gilbeys Car Hire Service and Cannon's Taxis occupied a small building in the yard until the conversion of the property in 1969.
The small cottages of Black Lion Court were built in 1990 on land originally owned by Memorial University. Unfortunately, because the University failed to live up to one of the conditions imposed on it by Harlow Council when the property was acquired, a portion of the site reverted to the town and these cottages were built on it.
St. John's Church* was built in 1839, closed in 1979, and converted to the St. John's Arts and Recreation Centre. The lych gate and graveyard remain, the latter containing one of the few registered military graves in Harlow. Although this is one of only tens of thousands of such graves scattered the length and breadth of the Kingdom, its lonely presence in this neglected graveyard is particularly poignant. It holds the remains of Robert Gerald Lincoln of Park Hill, an electrical mechanic in the Royal Navy, killed on 8 January 1943 at the age of 19. The inscription reads:
I, said the master
and the gardener
held his peace.
H.M.S. Holdfast was a civilian cable-laying ship taken into naval service in 1942 and converted for use in the PLUTO (Pipe Line Under The Ocean) project. This involved the fabrication and deployment of 17 oil and petrol pipelines under the Channel after D-Day to provide the fuel for vehicles of the Allied armies. Lincoln enlisted in the Royal Navy in September 1941, and had just joined Holdfast, a week after completing his basic training. He was killed when a chain snapped and struck him.
St. John's House and St. John's House Cottage. This building is the only surviving remnant of St. Mary's College which operated from ca. 1840 to 1966. The Lower and Middle Remove were taught in the left-hand side of the building. Staff accommodation was provided in the right-hand side. It has not been possible to determing the origin of this building, which may have been a privately-run school prior to its acquisition by the college. In 1966 the property was converted into two residences for visiting members of the Memorial faculty. John Graham, a partner of Frederick Gibberd, and the architect for the conversion refers to the building as 'the village school' and there are other references to it as the Old School House but there is no readily available documentary evidence to confirm its origins. The walled garden on the west side of St. John's House was a scrapyard prior to the renovations. St. John's House was subsequently returned to its original use, and is now the classroom for the Memorial University of Newfoundland campus. St. John's House Cottage once again provides accommodation, this time for visiting faculty members.
Crabb's Cottages. These three almshouses were built in 1844 using £100 bequeathed by Sarah Crabb 'for benevolent or religious purposes'. The land was provided by the vicar of St. John's Church and the houses were endowed with £1 annual rent from adjoining land. These houses, which still display a badly-weathered commemorative inscription, were modernized in 1956, and sold to a private owner in 1975.