Education 6100: Addendum James Scott Johnston (Summer 2017)
Memorial University Faculty of Education
Welcome to Education 6100—Research Designs and Methods in Education. This Syllabus overview covers the first three weeks of the course and concentrates on the quantitative methods involved in educational research. The following three weeks will concentrate on the qualitative methods. This concentration has the following objectives:
1. Familiarization with the terminology involved in conducting quantitative research
2. Locating and describing educational research of a quantitative nature
3. Understanding the steps involved in conducting educational research from beginning to completion
4. Reading, analyzing, and reporting on a significant finding in educational research
There are two major assignments for this section. The two major assignments are:
1. Locating and Characterizing Research Studies in Three Genres (see attached assignment). This is due the end of week two, Friday July 7, 2017. This assignment is worth 10% of your grade.
2. Realist/Scientific/Postpositivist Approach to Research (see attached assignment). This is due the end of week four, Friday July 21, 2017. This assignment is worth 30% of your grade.
Students are expected to attend, to be on time, and to participate in class. 10% of your grade is participation and this is assigned at the discretion of the instructor.
Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research, Ed: 5th, Authors(s) Creswell, John W.
Weekly Readings and Assignments:
|Day One (June 26)||Intro/Creswell Chapter 1|
|Day Two (June 28)||Creswell Chapters 2-3|
|Day Three (July 3)||Creswell Chapters 4-5|
|Day Four (July 5)||Creswell Chapters 6, 9|
|Assignment One (July 7)|
|Day Five (July 10)||Creswell Chapters 10-11|
|Day Six (July 12)||Creswell Chapter 16-catch-up|
|Assignment Two (July 21)|