Information for student workers (including co-op)

Despite the university’s restriction on travel, I have assessed the risk and still want to travel out of province for my work term. What are the implications?

Students in co-operative education programs must consult with their unit’s dean or department head to determine whether or not travel can take place without affecting the health and safety of the student.

I have confirmed an out-of-province work term. Will I still be able to start this work term on time?

All university related travel (including international, outside the province and to Labrador) has been suspended until further notice, this includes relocation for co-operative education work terms and internships. Students should keep open communication with their employers and the co-op office to explore options to work remotely while restrictions are ongoing. Specific questions related to your out-of-province spring work term should be discussed directly with your coordinator/co-op office. Updated March 18, 2021.

Would it be possible to start my work term remotely should the travel restrictions continue?

Discuss this option with your employer and your co-op office.

I have signed a contract with my work term employer for my work placement. Can I withdraw my acceptance of an employer’s offer if I am unable to travel or feel nervous about travel?

Seek advice from your co-op office. Students with co-operative education placements performing essential work outside Newfoundland and Labrador must consult with their unit head before proceeding with travel. Essential travel for students is defined as travel for academic credit that is necessary to meet program requirements and cannot be postponed. 

If my out-of-province work term is postponed or cancelled and I cannot find a local work term, how will this impact me academically?

The co-op offices are working on alternative options for all impacted students. Seek advice from your co-op coordinator.

Should I continue to apply for work term positions outside of the province?

Continue to apply for any positions you are interested in, keeping in mind that travel restrictions are changing daily. If you are offered a position outside of the province, discuss the offer with your co-op office.

I am an international student and I have been offered a work placement outside of Canada in my home country. There are no travel restrictions in my home country. Can I accept this work placement?

First, check with your co-op office for overall guidance on Memorial regulations on accepting work terms abroad at this time. An official global travel advisory is in effect: Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. This may have an impact on your insurance and your ability to return to Canada as well.

If you intend to make an international trip for personal reasons (ie, to return to your home country, etc) you are advised to research and make your own decisions around what happens if your destination country or transit countries suspend international flights or shut down completely. Note that many countries are now implementing self-quarantine or self-monitoring for all new international arrivals:

Do your research to ensure coverage by both trip insurance and emergency health insurance. Call policy providers with your specific questions. Listen carefully, ask questions and write down the answers. Make sure you thoroughly understand. If you need to talk through your decision, you can speak to an advisor at the international office on your campus.

I have a MUCEP/ISWEP/SWASP/GradSWEP. Do I still come on campus to do my hours? Will I get paid?

If you are participating in MUCEP, ISWEP, SWASP, GradSWEP or are a student assistant you should no longer come to campus to complete your work.

I work as a student assistant or a tutor on campus. Do I come into work?

Please reach out to your supervisor to discuss. 



230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000