Student health and wellness

I am feeling stressed and anxious, what online and community supports are available?

A reminder to all students that the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre (SWCC) website offers a number of online and phone-based community mental health and wellness supports. Please refer to the detailed list of resources if you need remote support.

Students with urgent mental health concerns should avail of the following community-based services:

  • 24-hour mental health crisis line: (709) 737-4668 (local) or 1-888-737-4668 (province-wide).
  • Mobile Crisis Response Team: 1-888-737-4668 St. John’s Region.
  • 24 hour Walk-in Psychiatric Assessment Unit at the Waterford Hospital Site on Waterford Bridge Road: (709) 777-3021 or (709) 777-3022.

Grenfell students: You may also access the on-line resources listed above or visit Counselling and Psychological Services online resources. If you’re in Corner Brook and have an urgent mental health issue, you can also avail of:

  • Doorways Walk-In Clinic: 35 Boone’s Road, (709) 634-4506. Hours: Mondays 9-4:30 p.m.; Tuesdays 1-9 p.m.; Thursdays 9-4:30 p.m.

Do I need to talk to a physician to get a refill on my current medical prescription?

Pharmacists in the province have the ability to refill or renew some prescriptions. You can contact your pharmacist directly to renew current prescriptions with refills left. Please check with your pharmacist first to see if your prescription can be extended. If the prescription cannot be refilled please set up an appointment with a physician.

Student Wellness and Counselling Centre

What are the hours of operation for the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre on the St. John's campus?

The Student Wellness and Counselling Centre (SWCC) continues to remain open and staff are providing services to students via telephone and virtual session, with the exception of some physician or nurse appointments.

Hours of operation: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday

NOTE: Do not present in person to the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre.
If you are experiencing a cough, fever, difficulty breathing, and have travelled outside the province or have had contact with someone who has the COVID-19 virus. Students with COVID-19 questions and concerns should visit or call 811 directly.

I have a scheduled appointment with a physician and/or nurse at the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre coming up. Will it go ahead?

Yes, all appointments will proceed as scheduled, however there are some important changes for physician and nurse appointments.

If you have a previously scheduled appointment you will be contacted over the phone by the SWCC before your appointment time to determine if you need an in-person appointment. In the majority of circumstances, the SWCC will conduct appointments via telephone or by virtual session. If it is determined that you need an in-person physician appointment, you will be given a time and instructions for the appointment. In all cases you will be contacted over the phone by SWCC prior to your appointment time.

I'm in St. John's. How do I book an appointment with a physician and/or nurse?

To book an appointment with a physician or nurse please call 864-8500 or email  or use the HealthMyself online scheduling system (if you already have an account).

How do I book an appointment with a counsellor?

To book an appointment with a counsellor please email Please include your full name, student number, current residential address and phone number in your email request.

I have a scheduled counselling appointment at the Student Health and Wellness Centre. Will it go ahead?

Yes, all appointments will proceed as scheduled. A counsellor will connect with you via email, telephone or virtual session for your appointment.

Grenfell Campus, Counselling and Psychological Services

Counselling and Psychological Services (CPS) is operating at reduced capacity as clinicians are working from home until further notice. Students who had booked appointments with Dr. Veronica Hutchings or Jennifer Broadbent were contacted via email in March regarding their appointments. Students with booked appointments who did not receive an email or who have questions can email their clinician directly.

Jennifer is able to offer counselling via video conferencing to students who had been working with her this year. If you previously saw Jennifer this year and would like to avail of this option, please email her directly to book an appointment

In light of the reduction in services during this understandably stressful time, the resources page on the CPS website has been updated to include both COVID-19 specific and general mental health resources, so please check out

If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer at her email listed above or Veronica at

Academic accommodations

I am a student who receives academic accommodations support for my disability from the Blundon Centre or another campus coordinating centre. Will my accommodations continue to be facilitated if classes are delivered remotely?

Campus will remain open and services will continue to be provided. If you have specific issues or challenges in converting your studies to a remote environment please contact your respective campus coordinating centre:

Insurance coverage

*I don’t currently have medical insurance or access to MCP. Will I have to pay for treatment if I get COVID-19?

No - the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is covering the cost of COVID-19 related medical services for non-insured individuals who are currently residing in Newfoundland.

*What costs will be covered by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador? 

The coverage includes screening, treatment and hospitalization (if necessary) related to COVID-19.

If I want to get tested for COVID-19 will the test be covered?

Yes. Everyone currently residing in the province can access COVID-19 testing free of charge.

I have questions related to my Health and Dental insurance coverage.

Grenfell students: The GCSU also provides coverage through Greenshield. The websites listed above are applicable.

I do not have MCP. If I get COVID-19, will my emergency foreign health insurance pay for it?

Students and dependants covered by Memorial’s Guard Me policy should review the Guard Me FAQs (in particular #2) linked here: Travelling to Canada FAQs.



230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000