Information for graduate students

Questions with an asterisk (*) are new or recently updated as of April 15, 2021.

The faculty and staff of the School of Graduate Studies and all of our academic and service units are committed to safeguarding your health and well-being and ensuring your continuance and progress in your academic programs. In addition to the information below, we would encourage you to review the School of Graduate Studies Resources for Graduate Students webpage for more information and resources to assist with and foster remote learning, wellness, and community.

*Are graduate admissions still taking place?

Yes, we are processing and making decisions on graduate applications. Detailed application instructions can be found on the Become a Graduate Student website.

*Do I have access to professional skills development workshops and programs?

All of our workshops and programs under the Enhanced Development of the Graduate Experience, including the Entrepreneurship Training Program, are being offered remotely. We also offer a number of online resources. Full a full list of workshops and resources, please the EDGE website. We’ll be updating the workshop schedule so please check back regularly.

How will supervisory committee, research-related exams, and doctoral defences be held?

Graduate students and faculty supervisors are encouraged to meet remotely through videoconferencing. You’ll find more information on this in the School of Graduate Studies Resources for Graduate Students webpage.

How can I get letters (of enrolment, for PGWP applications, or for study permit extensions)?

Graduate students seeking a standard confirmation of enrolment letter are asked to request the letter through Memorial Self-Service. Please do not come to SGS to pick up the letter. Graduate students who require a letter of enrolment for a study permit extension, please request this letter by emailing us at Please include your name, student number, and anticipated program completion date. Please do not come to SGS to pick up the letter. For Post-Graduation Work Permit support letters, please email Please include your name and student number in the request. Please do not come to SGS to pick up the letter. For all letter requests, letters will then be emailed to your MUN email address shortly afterwards (normally 1-3 business days).

Is the School of Graduate Studies open?

Faculty and staff in the School of Graduate Studies are working remotely. Along with other academic and service units, we are 100 per cent committed to helping you. If you are a graduate student and have any questions or concerns, please email We’ll get back to you in one business day. If your matter is urgent and you need a faster response, please email



230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000