Animal Care Services

Questions with an asterisk (*) are new or recently updated.

*I utilize Memorial’s Animal Care Services facilities and laboratories for my research. How am I affected?

Your dean or school head has received an information package from the Office of the Vice-President (Research). They have been asked to only request, on behalf of researchers in their academic units, access to on-campus research spaces, fieldwork and face-to-face interactions with research participants when absolutely necessary. You should make contact with your dean or school head if you have specific questions, and ensure that you provide input to the processes that they are leading to solicit, review and approve requests from their faculties and schools. You can learn more about Memorial's plan to resume research activities by reading this May 14 update from our vice-president (research)

For those who were granted access under Level 5, there is no need for reapplication for the change to the current Level 4 restrictions. It is anticipated that there will be little change from Level 5 for resumption of research activities until Level 3 comes into place. Updated May 25.

*Can I access Animal Care Services facilities?

As noted above, access requests must be granted from the Office of the Vice-President (Research) before researchers, students or laboratory staff are permitted to access the animal facilities. Once access is granted, researchers are required to co-ordinate with Animal Care Services staff prior to recommencing research activities. Updated May 22.

*What extra precautions are required for working in the animal facilities?

All personnel are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to enter animal holding rooms, procedure rooms and surgeries. This means that cap, gown, mask, gloves and booties are required for entry in the room and must be disposed of outside of the holding room. We will continue to update users if the situation with PPE procurement changes. Updated May 22.

*Can I order animals?

As of Tuesday, March 17, animal orders were suspended in order to reduce traffic in and out of facilities and reduce the requirement for critical resources. If you have exceptions that must be considered, please contact Dr. Jennifer Keyte at or Dr. Mary Timonin at In anticipation of Level 3 restrictions, Animal Care Services is working with Charles River Laboratories and the Office of the Vice-President (Research) to enable ordering as quickly as possible. Updated May 22.

What do I do if I notice an animal that is not well?

Please contact one of the clinical veterinarians: Dr. Mary Timonin at or Dr. Kate Wilson at If the matter is urgent, please refer to the phone numbers listed inside the entrance to each facility.

Will there be training for animal handling and animal procedures?

Training was suspended as of Tuesday March 17. We will continue to update faculty and staff as the situation changes. If you have any questions, please contact Wilma Lagerwerf at

*Will all of the Animal Care Services (ACS) staff be present during working hours?

As of Tuesday, March 17, ACS will have representation from the clinical veterinary staff, operations management and animal care services technical staff at the facilities Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. and weekends from 8 a.m. until noon. Updates will be provided as necessary. Updated May 22.

*Will the Animal Care Committee (ACC) continue to function during the pandemic?

The committee will continue operations at a reduced level during the pandemic. Please submit all of your questions to Anulika Mbakwe, ACC coordinator, via email at Updated May 22.

My protocol is about to expire. What do I do?

The Animal Care Committee will be granting three-month extensions on protocols due to expire. We will work with principal investigators, and Research Grant and Contract Services (RGCS), to ensure continuity of research support for existing protocols.

*Can I submit a new protocol or an amendment to add a procedure, animals or personnel?

Researchers may contact Anulika Mbakwe, Animal Care Committee co-ordinator, with questions about submitting new protocols or amendments. Updated May 22.

Can we use the break room at the Health Sciences Centre (HSC) facility?

Faculty, staff and students are required to practice social distancing and to follow disinfection procedures as posted. Faculty, staff and students may access the breakroom but social distancing of >2m is required. No more than four people at a time are permitted in the break room.



230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000