For employees

Thank you for your patience and support as we continue to work together and maintain our commitment to support students, faculty and staff. For detailed information on critical functions, remote work and other human resources issues, please consult the latest updates here.

As this situation continues to change, please check back regularly for updated content.


I am feeling anxious and experiencing challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Are there any resources available to help me?

Feeling stress and uncertainty during this time is understandable. The university encourages employees feeling stress to avail of resources such as the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The EAP by Shepell.fgi, is a comprehensive, confidential service available to Memorial employees, retirees and their immediate family members (provided they are also covered under the university's health plan) at no cost, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Individuals with urgent mental health concerns should avail of one of the following community-based services:
• 24-hour mental health crisis line: (709) 737-4668 (local) or 1-888-737-4668 (province-wide).
• Mobile Crisis Response Team: 1-888-737-4668 St. John’s Region.
• 24-hour Walk-in Psychiatric Assessment Unit at the Waterford Hospital Site on Waterford Bridge Road: (709) 777-3021 or (709) 777-3022.
• A Doorways Clinic - locations throughout the province. 

I have questions about COVID-19. Where should I go for reliable information?

Individuals with COVID-19 questions and concerns related to the university should complete an employee information sessions through Bright Space. You can also visit the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador COVID-19 website. If you have health related questions, visit or call 811 directly. 

Who do I contact for HR assistance?

Members of the university community requiring urgent HR assistance should email Human Resources prioritizes and responds to requests as quickly as possible.  

How best do I maintain work productivity during the pandemic if working remotely?
The university encourages units to engage with all staff wherever feasible. In some instances, work performed remotely may look similar to the work performed during regular operations. In other instances, work performed remotely may look different as units undertake new projects, respond to emerging issues or conduct planning during this period.

Memorial continues to encourage working from home where possible, in line with public health messages for all alert levels, and doing our part to keep density manageable in our buildings. The ongoing direction for staff employees to work from home remains in place for now, unless currently approved for on-campus work or through a unit approved plan. Some unit plans may consider a hybrid model with employees returning to campus on a flexible, part-time basis to balance risk, health and productivity. 

Will I be required to perform different or additional duties during the COVID-19 pandemic?

In the event that critical university services are not being met, the university may ask employees to take on different or additional duties. 

I continue to work remotely. Is there anything that I should keep in mind?

All faculty and staff at home should stay safe and stay connected. Employees must ensure managers have their contact information and must check their email daily for updates. Employees can access their email online through webmail.

Your privacy obligations continue and requirements under the university’s privacy policy and procedures remain in place while working remotely.
1. Use the tools and technologies being recommended for working remotely.
2. Use your Memorial University email account, not personal accounts, for conducting university business.
3. Use encrypted storage devices that require a password.
4. Avoid using external storage devices, CDs and DVDs to store university information as they can be lost or copied.
5. Laptops should be full-disk encrypted so data cannot be accessed if the laptop is lost or stolen.
6. Remove university information from personal computers (if using), laptops, hard drives and other storage devices when no longer in use.
7. Ensure your work-related discussions about confidential matters are not overheard by people not authorized to know the information.
8. Keep university records in paper/hard copy format out of view of people not authorized to view them; have a file or box to keep them secure.
9. Any confidential university information requiring disposal (e.g. paper, hard drive, etc.) must be done securely; retain these in a safe place until normal operations resume and you can dispose of them in accordance with university policy on data removal.
10. Bear in mind that whatever device you use, university records are subject to Access to Information and Protection of Privacy (ATIPP) requests and privacy requirements under the ATIPPA, 2015, the act governing access to information and protection of privacy in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Please beware of phishing and cyber-attacks. Attackers are particularly active in using social engineering attacks to take advantage of the COVID-19 crisis, and its climate of dynamic change and sense of urgency. In addition to phishing emails, actors may use phone calls, text messages, social media and fake news to trick victims into providing personal information. Emails purporting to be from trusted sources may be malware in disguise. Be careful what you click and download.

Also, individuals working from home should read and follow ergonomic tips for working at home

More information is available in the April 28 update

Is IT assistance available to help me work remotely?

Memorial’s Information Technology Services (ITS) team have resources available to help you to work remotely. Please consult the technology for working remotely webpage.  

Are ergonomics assessments available to help me set up my workstation at home?

The Ergonomics Program is offering remote ergonomic assessments. Information on this initiative along with ergonomics tips, stretching exercises, FAQs and more has been placed on the Human Resources website.. To access this page, please click here

I am a staff/faculty member/pensioner who receives a manual pay cheque. Will I get paid?

All employees and pensioners who are currently paid via a manual cheque are required to move to direct deposit as this is the most efficient process during an emergency situation. 

Individuals paid by cheque should contact MyHR at to make the necessary arrangements. Please click on the following link to access the direct deposit form: . Employees and pensioners who continue to receive a manual cheque will receive it via Canada Post; however, due to the current situation, Payroll advises this process may take longer than usual.

I am a member of CUPE 1615 and haven't received my severance payout yet, when will I receive it?

The next scheduled severance payout is Sept. 24. All CUPE 1615 severance payouts will be completed by the end of September 2020.

I am a member of CUPE 1615 and just received my severance payout; however, I don't think it is correct. Can someone review this for me? 

Employees receiving their severance payouts are reminded that the payouts are subject to deductions such as taxes, CPP and EI. Taking into consideration the applicable deductions, if you still feel the amount is incorrect, please email

I need a Record of Employment (ROE). How do I get one?

If you require a ROE, please submit your request via email to and the payroll team will submit it electronically to Service Canada. 

Can I use annual leave during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Staff should utilize annual leave as they normally would in accordance with their respective collective agreement and the Leave Administration policy. In planning annual leave, staff should be mindful of their leave carry over limits and consider operational requirements and their normal work flow. It is also important to note that in some cases a unit’s operational requirements may not enable numerous leave requests to be accommodated during peak periods.

Leave management forms are available in the portal under the forms section of the “Employees” tab. 

During the COVID-19 pandemic can a supervisor cancel or deny an employee’s annual leave request that has already been approved?

Recognizing this unprecedented situation with the COVID-19 pandemic is evolving, and based on unit plans, a supervisor can cancel any pre-approved vacation requests, especially in circumstances where there are serious staff shortages as a result of illness. Your vacation also could be cancelled if you have been designated as a critical employee due to the nature of your job responsibilities. 

I have excess leave hours that I was unable to use due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Will I lose these excess leave hours?

A number of staff were unable to use their excess leave in March 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The university carried this leave forward; however, staff are expected to use this carried over excess leave in the current fiscal year.

Carry over of leave for the current fiscal year will be in accordance with collective agreements and the Leave Administration policy.

Does Memorial's travel health insurance provider cover COVID-19 related expenses?

Memorial's travel health insurance provider, SSQ Insurance, has provided updated information related to the COVID-19 pandemic that affects coverage retroactive to April 6, 2020. An important change relates to non-essential workers.

Is the Employee Wellness Program providing assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic?

The Employee Wellness Program has added a COVID-19 wellness resources page to the Human Resources website. This page includes links to webinars, video tutorials of mindfulness activities and a listing of community resources. Employee Wellness is also continuing to remotely support participants in the Health Improvement Program (HIP).

My Memorial University parking permit will expire soon. How do I get a new one?

Permit renewals for faculty and staff on St. John’s campus are ongoing. Those who have not yet returned can renew parking permits when back on campus. Payroll deduction for faculty and staff is strongly encouraged, and is available via The parking office accepts payment via payroll deduction, cash and debit. For more information, visit here.



230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000