All objectives have been achieved beyond expectation
Teaching and Knowledge Transfer
- Provided modern and workable infrastructures for teaching and working at the University of Labor and Social Affairs (ULSA): Social work (SW) books/library, teaching equipment and materials, classroom, working and living space for project staff.
- 16 ULSA teachers completed a program of 10 introductory Social Work courses. They in turn taught the same program to 61 other Social Work providers (total 80 completed the program).
- 12 SW courses have been designed (written in Vietnamese, with financial assistance from UNICEF of Hanoi).
- 12 ULSA teachers have completed the Masters degree in Social Work (MSW) at the University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada (9) and at the Philippines Women's University (3) in Manilla and returned to their posts in Vietnam.
- These 12 Masters graduates (9F, 3M) and those who completed the 10 course introductory program above will continue teaching future SW students and upgrading at least 60,000 rural SW providers in Vietnam following project completion.
- Organized and implemented a study visit of six (3F; 3M) ULSA's Social Work teachers (May 2004) and five (2F; 3M) administrators to Canada (September 2004) to exchange experience and ideas in SW education and to have direct observation of the roles and responsibilities of SW in Canada.
- Conducted five workshops on Social Work education to 182 participantss on topic:
- Fieldwork education (2 workshops for 114 participants)
- Teaching methods (28 rural social workers)
- Evaluation & result based management (20 participants)
- Trends in Social Work knowledge and skills (20 participants)
- Improved English capacity for ULSA's teachers
- Infrastructure in place for project activities
- ULSA teachers were better prepared for more advanced SW education
Program of 10 Introductory Social Work courses, topics included
- Introduction to SW
- Individual and Family Counselling
- Field Work with Individuals and Families
- SW with Families and Groups
- SW Research
- Field Work with Community
- Community Development
- Seminar on Professional issues and interdisciplinary practice
- Supervision in Professional and Clinical Practice
- Child Protection
- Rural Social Work
- Expanded ULSA library with SW books, teachind documents, audio-visual aids
- Upgraded office equipment, classroom facilities
- ULSA teachers conducted research projects on relevant issues in Vietnam and used their research results in designing strategies to deal with VN social problems. These applied research projects thus contributed to the country's development and raised the visibility and credibility of ULSA
- Baseline data collection was done in areas involved in the project and will be used in designing and evaluating evidence-based solutions.
- Social work practice centre (SWPC) provides counseling services to students and people in the surrounding communities. At the same time it is the living laboratory for faculty and students to practice counseling and related skills to improve the livelihood of vulnerable population. It has:
- completed 35 cases of consultation
- conducted teaching sessions on life skills (relationship skills), self-management, self control
- worked with highschools to establish counselling services
- Health education materials are available for people in communities involved in the project.
- ULSA teachers who completed the 10 SW introductory courses, have organized and conducted 41 workshops for 1306 rural social work providers (59% females), and 2 workshops for 60 (40F; 20M) ULSA senior SW students. This train-the-trainer approach will potentially upgrade 60,000 rural SW providers following project completion.
- One young Canadian intern participated in projects with funding from Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade: ($15,000)
- Two young MUN students participated in the project under MUCEP (Memorial Undergraduate Career Experience Program): ($541 x 2 = $1082)
- Research assistanship from the University of Regina: ($3900 x 2 = $7,800)
- CLSA was upgraded to University of Labor and Social Affairs (ULSA) which provides university program in social work since 2005, and is the leader of Social Work education in Vietnam.