Honours in Philosophy
A BA (hons.) in Philosophy provides the undergraduate student with intensive training in philosophy in a wide breadth of approaches and thinkers, appropriately preparing her or him for graduate studies in the discipline.
The full honours programme requires a minimum of 60 credit hours in philosophy courses; Joint Honours requires a minimum of 45 credit hours in philosophy courses.
These must include:
- Philosophy 1200 (Introduction to Philosophy)
- Philosophy 2000 (Introduction to Metaphysics) or 2220 (Introduction to Epistemology)
- Philosophy 2210 (Logic)
- Philosophy 2230 (Moral Philosophy
- Philosophy 3400 (Political Philosophy)
- Philosophy 2701 (History of Ancient Philosophy) or 2702 (History of Modern Philosophy)
- 3 credit hours from Philosophy 3110-3620 (Philosophy of ... Series) (excluding Philosophy 3400 if previously completed to fulfill the requirements above)
- 3 credit hours from Philosophy 3730-3790 (Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance Series)
- 3 credit hours from Philosophy 3800-3851 (17th to 18th Century Series)
- 3 credit hours from Philosophy 3860-3890 (19th Century Series)
- 3 credit hours from Philosophy 3900-3950 (20th-21st Century Series)
- One course in the 4700-4790 series (Seminar in Special Authors and Texts: Topics T.B.A. each semester)
- One course in the 4800-4890 series Seminar in 20th and 21st. Century Philosophy: Topics T.B.A. each semester)
- An additional three credit hours in courses at the 4000 level
- Either Philosophy 4998 (Comprehensive Examination) or 4999 (Honours Dissertation)
- Candidates for Joint Honours must choose 4998 (but see note below) and candidates for full Honours may take 4999 only with permission of the Department
- Other Philosophy courses for a total of 60 credit hours for Full Honours, 45 credit hours for Joint Honours.
Candidates for Joint Honours who elect to fulfill the honours requirement in the other discipline are not required to take the comprehensive examination.
(See Regulations for the Honours degree of Bachelor of Humanities and Social Sciences.)
For the most recent version of the Honours requirements students should check the Philosophy section of the University Calendar.