How to Make an Access to Information Request
Memorial University of Newfoundland, as a public institution, is committed to openness, accountability and transparency in all of its activities. Questions arising from and information sought about Memorial University's activities will be met with forthright and timely responses. Most information about the university's operations is considered public information and is made easily accessible on the internet.
If you wish to access information contained in records at Memorial, either general information or information about yourself, it is best to start by contacting the department at Memorial that has the information. The ATIPP Act, 2015 is in addition to and does not replace existing procedures for access to information or records. A formal ATIPP request is usually not necessary to access information. In general, an informal request can be completed more quickly and with less hassle than an ATIPP request.
If the information cannot be accessed through the routine process, an ATIPP request can be made by completing the application form below.
Some things to consider:
- the more focused your request, the faster we can process it
- identify the office or individual you believe would have responsive records
- provide a timeframe (records dated since *date*)
- provide record type(s) (eg, email)
- describe the subject matter with as much detail as possible
- if you are seeking access to your own personal information, we will require proof of identity
- the university must respond to your request within 20 business days, unless the time limit is extended with authorization from the province’s Information and Privacy Commissioner
- access to records is subject to exceptions to disclosure in the ATIPPA, 2015 – for example, another person’s personal information may be severed from a record before you are granted access
- processing of your request may be subject to search fees in accordance with a fee schedule established by the provincial government
- certain types of records are excluded from the ATIPPA, 2015: questions on an examination or test, research information, and teaching materials
Collection of personal information through this form is authorized under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015 and will be used to respond to your request. Questions about the collection and use of the information may be directed to the IAP office at 709-864-8753 or email@example.com.