P.J. Kinsella, Some Superstitions and Traditions of Newfoundland: A Collection of Superstitions, Traditions, Folk-Lore, Ghost Stories Etc., Etc., 1998. v, 54 pp. pbk. ($7.43 inc. tax)
A reprint of the 1919 first published collection of Newfoundland Folklore with an introduction by Dr. Pat Byrne.
P.K. Devine, Devine's Folklore of Newfoundland in Old Words, Phrases and Expressions, Their Origin and Meaning, 1997. vi, 81 pp. pbk. ($9.58 inc. tax).
A reprint of the P.K. Devine 1937 edition with an introduction by Dr. Philip Hiscock.
J.D.A. Widdowson, ed., Bibliography of British Folklore, 1996. xv, 456 pp. pbk. ($35.00 inc. tax).
With an introduction by Dr. J.D.A. Widdowson. A new and wide-ranging reference work, comprising an alphabetical listing of British and Irish material.
Gerald Thomas, The Tall Tale and Philippe D'Alcripe. An
Analysis of the Tall Tale Genre with Particular Reference to
Philippe D'Alcripe's La Nouvelle Fabrique des Excellents Traits
de Vérité, together with an Annotated Translation of the Work,
1977. xv, 259 pp. pbk. ($10.70 inc. tax)
- This translation and study of a sixteenth century French collection of tall tales includes a discussion of the tall tale in France and America and its relationships with other folklore genres.
Herbert Halpert, ed. A Folklore Sampler From the
Maritimes. With a Bibliographical Essay on The Folktale in
English, 1982. xix, 272 pp. pbk. ($10.70 inc. tax)
An annotated collection of folklore from the Canadian Maritimes; includes bibliographical essays on the folktale in English, childlore, and proverbs.
Kenneth S. Goldstein and Neil V. Rosenberg, eds. Folklore
Studies in Honour of Herbert Halpert--A Festschrift, 1980. ix,
395 pp. pbk. ($12.84 inc. tax)
Twenty-six essays on a variety of folklore topics from Canada, Britain and the United States by friends, colleagues and former students of Dr. Herbert Halpert.
Kenneth S. Goldstein, ed. Canadian Folklore Perspectives,
1978. vii, 68 pp. pbk. (5.35 inc. tax)
- Papers by Neil V. Rosenberg, Elli Köngäs Maranda, Ban Seng Hoe, and Carole Henderson Carpenter, on the public perception of folklore and political aspects of its study in Canada.
Neil V. Rosenberg, ed. Folklore and Oral History, 1978.
xx, 101 pp. pbk. ($5.35 inc. tax)
- These papers, by historians, linguists, anthropologists and folklorists, provide an introduction to the use of oral data in the study of culture and history.
Alison Feder and Bernice Schrank, eds. Literature and
Folk Culture: Ireland and Newfoundland, 1977. ix, 182 pp. pbk.
($8.02 inc. tax)
- Papers by Richard Walsh, Michael Molloy, Bryan MacMahon, Devin Danaher, Ronald Ayling, Herbert Halpert, William Kirwin, on many aspects of the vernacular and literary cultures of Ireland and Newfoundland.
Gerald Thomas, Songs Sung by French Newfoundlanders, A
Catalogue of the Holdings of the Memorial University of
Newfoundland Folklore and Language Archive, 1978. ix, 93 pp. pbk.
($5.35 inc. tax)
- Lists 180 songs in 283 variants collected from singers in francophone communities on Newfoundland's Port-au-Port peninsula between 1971 and 1978. Provides Index of Titles and First Lines and Index of Singers with Repertoires by Titles and First Lines. Brief biographical notes on each singer.
Michael Taft, A Regional Discography of Newfoundland and
Labrador, 1904-1972, 1975. xxx, 102 pp. pbk. ($5.35 inc.
- Lists every commercial record featuring a Newfoundland performer and a wide range of privately produced discs. Documents the selective adoption by Newfoundlanders of mainland popular music styles.
Paul Mercer, Newfoundland Songs and Ballads in Print
1842-1974: A Title and First-Line Index, 1979. xv, 343 pp. pbk.
($10.70 inc. tax)
- Lists by title and first line all published texts of Newfoundland folksongs. Cross-referenced to Child, Laws, and Taft.
Department of Folklore
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland
Please make cheques payable to MUN Folklore and Language Publications.