Our strength is our diversity. Faculty and students in the Department of Classics study every aspect of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds. Areas of research interest include ancient Greek and Latin literature, ancient philosophy, the art and architecture of the ancient Greeks and Romans, their technological and scientific achievements, and their influence on subsequent cultures through the Renaissance and into the modern world.
Areas of Specialty:
• Greek and Roman social and political history
• Classical art, architecture and material culture
• Ancient science, medicine and technology
• Greek and Roman literature, especially Augustan poetry and New Comedy
• Textual criticism and literary theory
• Ancient philosophy