Please Enter a Search Term

March/April 2014

March/April 2014

Academic Assistance for Undeclared Students Beyond First Year

MSRP             Undeclared Information Session

Academic Information Sessions          Important Dates

Dealing with Exam Anxiety        Applying to a Faculty ot School?

Continuance and Re-Admission Regulations          Academic Warning

Helpful Places and Links      Career Development and Experiential Learning 

Declaring a Major and/or Minor 

Are you an undeclared student beyond first year that is unsure of what degree program to study? Have you applied to a degree program but were not accepted? Do you know what program you want to study but are not sure if you are on track for admission? If you answered yes to any of these questions we can help! 

The Maintaining Student Relationships Program (MSRP) is coordinated through the Academic Advising Centre. Its main focus is to help support undeclared students who are beyond their first year of study with developing an academic path. Therefore, if you are undeclared and beyond first year and have any questions about your academic path, you can set up an appointment with the Academic Advising Centre.

You can contact the Academic Advising Centre by phone at (709) 864-8801, by e-mail at, or by visiting us in the Science Building (SN 4053).

Back to top  

Undeclared Information Session

Are you unsure of your academic/career path. Are you undeclared in an academic program? Don't know what you want to do when you graduate? If any of these apply, our information session is perfect for you!

The Academic Advising Centre and Career Development and Experiential Learning are working together to offer an information session on March 5, 2014 at 1:00pm in the Science Building (SN 4063) to help you learn how these two units can assist you with developing an academic/career path. Come listen and learn about more about the services provided by these two units.

If you have any questions about this session, feel free to contact us at:

Back to top

Academic Information Sessions

The Academic Advising Centre would like to make you aware of the academic program information sessions being offered in the winter semester. A faculty member from the faculties/schools will be talking to students about their degree program(s) and students will be given an opportunity to ask questions. Please see the schedule on the Academic Advising Centre website and then click the link on the left hand side of the page.

                                              Back to top

Important Dates:

Registration begins, Spring semester on March 24, 2014

Lectures end for Winter semester on April 4, 2014

Exams begin for Winter semester on April 9, 2014

Exams end for Winter semester on April 19, 2014

Final grades will be released for the Winter semester beginning at 5 p.m. on April 24, 2014

Lectures begin, Intersession and Spring semester on May 12, 2014

Lectures begin for Summer session on June 30, 2014

Back to top

Dealing with Exam Anxiety

Exam time is very stressful.  Here are some helpful hints that will help you deal effectively with that stress:

  • While studying, try breathing more deeply than usual, or tensing and relaxing your muscles where you are experiencing tension.
  • Visualize success.  Imagine yourself sitting calmly in the exam room, reading the paper throughly, noting exactly what the questions are asking you to do, planning your time, producing detailed, thoughtful answers and doing well.
  • In the exam room, jot down important information, like formulas, right at the start of the exam.  Then keep clam by focusing on what you know and starting with the questions you understand.

The Counselling Centre offers great tips on dealing with test anxiety and other useful topics.  Visit the Counselling Centre in the University Center, 5th Floor, room UC-5002.

Back to top

Applying to a Faculty or School?

All of the professional faculties and schools at Memorial have application deadlines and admission requirements. If you are interested in any of these programs you should ensure that you meet the admission regulations by completing the required courses. The University Calendar provides a great deal of important information.

Faculty or School Application Deadline
Nutrition May 31
Biochemistry May 31
Psychology June 1
Medicine September 15
Primary/Elementary Education December 1
Intermediate/Secondary Education January 15
Music January 15
Business March 1
Engineering March 1
Kinesiology March 1
Bachelor of Nursing (Collaborative) March 1
Physical Education March 1
Recreation March 1
Pharmacy March 1
Social Work

March 1

Fine Arts (Theatre)

March 31

Fine Arts (Visual Arts)

March 1

Back to Top

Continuance and Re-Admission Regulations

To be eligible to continue your studies at Memorial you must meet the continuance and re-admission regulations at the end of each semester.  The regulations apply to any student who is registered for at least nine credit hours on the last day for adding courses that semester; for the winter semester the last day to add courses was January 23rd, 2014.  If you were registered for three or more courses as of that date, you are subject to these regulations:

At the end of each semester, in order to be eligible for continuance at Memorial University, you are required to have either:

  • obtained a current average of 50 per cent in the courese for which you were registered on the last day for dropping courese without academic prejudice;
  • or obtained a cumulative average of at least 55 per cent on your entire undergraduate university academic career at Memorial.

For more information, please see the University Calender.

Back to Top

Academic Warning

The first time you fail to meet the requirements outlined aboved, you will be given an academic warning.  You will be permitted to return to university studies, but will be subject to the continuance and re-admission regulations as stated above.

If you have previously been given an academic warning and fail to meet the above requirements, you will not be eligible for re-admission until the following two semesters.

For more information, please see the University Calendar.

 Back to Top 

Helpful Places and Links?

Academic Advising Centre: SN 4053

Answers: UC 3005

Career Development and Experiential Learning: UC 4002

Cashier's Office: A 1023

Counselling Centre: UC 5011

Registrar's Office: A-2003

Each of the locations listed ablove provide support to students in a variety of ways.  From providing academic advice and helping students choose courses, to helping students get involved on campus.  Each of these places exist to assist students and to help them with their studies at Memorial.  Students should visit each location to see how the centres can help!

Back to top

Career Development and Experiential Learning

Career Development and Exeriential Learning (CDEL) offers many different services such as: work and volunteer experience; career consultations; resume and cover letter critiques; as well as job search guidance.

ArtsWorks and ScienceM@tters are multi-session programs that focus on helping students discover how the skills and knowledge they're gathering while in pursuit of a bachelor of arts or science can be turned into tangible future employment or further study. More information and registration for the winter semester offering of these programs is available from the CDEL website.

Back to top

Declaring a Major and/or Minor for a BA; a B.Sc.

The Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) requires the completion of two areas of study in order to graduate. These two areas can be a major and a minor, or a double major. Departments require between 12-15 courses to be completed in the major. To complete a minor, there are 8 required courses. The major must be an arts subject whereas the minor may come from arts, science, business, or music. Students are also required to complete the BA core requirements. For a full listing of the BA degree components, please see the University Calendar.

To declare a major/minor in the Faculty of Arts, simply go to the Registrar's Office and fill out the Declaration/Change of Academic Program form. There are a few programs in the Faculty of Arts that have competitive entrance; however, you can consult the University Calendar for more information.

If you are pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree (B.Sc.) you must choose a major in a science subject. Departments require somewhere between 12-15 courses for a major. You may declare a minor, but it is not required; if you do complete a minor it is 8 courses. To learn more about the B.Sc. degree components, please see the University Calendar.

Some departments require the completion of 10 courses before accepting a student as a major in the Faculty of Science and departments such as biochemisty, biology and psychology have specific admission requirements. As well, in some cases there are specific deadlines for applying as well as application forms. Further information can be found in the University Calendar or at the departmental office.

To declare a major or a minor in the Faculty of Science, you must complete a Declaration/Change of Academic Program form and submit it to the head of the department of the program you want to declare; forms must then be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar.

Note: Some second-year courses are restricted to majors or minors, therefore, it is in your best interest to declare a major and minor before attempting to register.

Back to top