Please Enter a Search Term

January/February 2014

January/ February 2014

Academic Assistance for Undeclared Students Beyond First Year

  MSRP         Undeclared Information Session         

Academic Information Sessions      Winter Deadlines        Safety 1000

Midterm Resource Fair         Applying to a Faculty ot School?

Distance Education        Drop-in Study Skills Clinics         Degree Audit      

Career Development and Experiential Learning        Declaring a Major/Minor

Are you an undeclared student beyond first year that is unsure of what degree program to study? Have you applied to a degree program but were not accepted? Do you know what program you want to study but are not sure if you are on track for admission? If you answered yes to any of these questions there is help for you!

The Maintaining Student Relationships Program (MSRP) is coordinated through the Academic Advising Centre. Its main focus is to help support undeclared students who are beyond their first year of study with developing an academic path. Therefore, if you are undeclared and beyond first year and have any questions about your academic path, you can set up an appointment with the Academic Advising Centre by following these steps:

1. Login to

2. Under the Student Services tab, click My MUNLife.

3. Select the Academic Advising Centre tab.

4. Select: Book Appointment by Provider or Book Appointment by Type to view available appointment times.

5. Select an appointment time that is convenient for you.

You can contact the Academic Advising Centre by phone at (709) 864-8801, by e-mail at, or by visiting room SN-4053.

Back to top  

Undeclared Information Session

Are you still ensure of your academic/career path. Are you still undeclared in an academic program? Don't know what you want to do when you graduate? If any of these apply, our information session is perfect for you!

The Academic Advising Centre and Career Development and Experiential Learning are working together to offer an information session on March 5th, 2014 from 1:00pm to 2:00pm in the Science Building (SN 4063) to help you learn how these two units can assist you with developing an academic/career path.

If you have any questions about this session, feel free to contact us at:

Back to top

Academic Information Sessions

The Academic Advising Centre would like to make you aware of the Academic Program Information Sessions being offered in the winter semester. A faculty member from the faculties/schools will be talking to students about their degree program(s) and students will be given an opportunity to ask questions. Please see the schedule on the Academic Advising Centre website and then click the link to access the winter schedule.

                                              Back to top

Winter Deadlines

January 23, 2013: The last day to add courses for winter semester and the last day to drop winter semester courses and receive a 100% refund of tuition fees.

January 30, 2013: The last day to drop winter semester courses and receive a 50% refund of tuition fees.

February 6, 2013: The last day to drop winter semester courses and receive a 25% refund of tuition fees. No tuition fees will be refunded for courses dropped after this date.

February 27, 2013: The last day for undergraduate students to drop courses for winter semester without academic prejudice.

For more details you can access the complete list of Relevant Dates for the Winter 2014 Semester.

Back to top

Safety 1000

If you are registering for a laboratory course that includes exposure to chemicals, note that you must complete Safety 1000. Safety 1000 is offered online through D2L at the beginning of each semester for undergraduate and graduate students and provides appropriate training in WHMIS and Laboratory safety. If you completed the course in a previous semester or have evidence that appropriate training has been undertaken elsewhere, you do not need to register again. For more information please visit:

Back to top

Midterm Resource Fair - February 10th, 2014

The Academic Advising Centre, Student Engagement, the Wellness Program and Career Development and Experiential Learning will be hosting the Midterm Resource Fairon Monday, February 10th, from 11am to 2pm in the University Centre.

The Midterm Resource Fair brings together many of Memorial’s departments, faculties and schools aiming to provide undergraduate students convenient and timely access to campus resources that support undergraduate students. At this event, students are encouraged to speak with friendly staff and faculty to receive academic advice and academic information about Faculties and Schools; learn about volunteer, leadership, and career development opportunities; take an academic skills screening to learn ways to improve study habits; and get a snack of fresh popcorn!

Back to top

Applying to a Faculty or School?

All of the professional faculties and schools at Memorial have application deadlines and admission requirements. If you are interested in any of these programs you should ensure that you meet the admission regulations by completing the required courses. The University Calendar provides a great deal of important information.

Faculty or School Application Deadline
Nutrition May 31
Biochemistry May 31
Psychology June 1
Medicine September 15
Primary/Elementary Education December 1
Intermediate/Secondary Education January 15
Music January 15
Bachelor of Commerce (Co-Op) March 1
Engineering March 1
Kinesiology March 1
Bachelor of Nursing (Collaborative) March 1
Physical Education March 1
Recreation March 1
Pharmacy March 1
Social Work March 1

Back to Top

Distance Education Information in Memorial Self Service

Distance Education course information and notifications of exam dates, times and locations are available through Memorial Self Service. This information will no longer be mailed to students. You are advised to visit the Distance Education section of Memorial Self Service immediately upon registration for essential course information, and periodically throughout the semester for information on exams. There is a Guide to Memorial Self Service availalbe from the Academic Advising Centre if you need some assistance in navigating Self Service.

Back to Top

Counselling Centre: Drop-In Study Skills Clinics

In the beginning of the winter semester, study skills clinics are available to help you make your academic work at Memorial more effective and rewarding. These drop-in sessions provide an opportunity for you to discussyour concerns with a psychologist and develop helpful strategies to meet your academic needs. In the past, students have worked on reading and study skills, time management, oral presentations, organizing knowledge for writing term papers and essays, and test anxiety. Following the intake meeting, students will be registered in an online "Academic Skills Portfolio" page in D2L for further work and follow-up. These sessions are free of charge to registered Memorial students.

To learn more, drop by the Counselling Centre, 5th Floor, University Centre, or visit their website.

 Back to Top 

What is a Degree Audit?

A degree audit is a very helpful tool that will ensure you are completing the correct courses to meet graduation requirements and will also help you avoid any unexpected course surprises. You can apply for an audit when you have 20 or more courses completed.

To obtain an audit you must complete a Request for Degree Advice form and submit it to the Registrar's Office. You can pick-up the request forms at the Registrar's Office, A-2003, or print the form online here.

Back to top

Career Development and Experiential Learning

Career Development and Exeriential Learning (CDEL) offers many different services such as: work and volunteer experience; career consultations; resume and cover letter critiques; as well as job search guidance.

ArtsWorks and ScienceM@tters are multi-session programs that focus on helping students discover how the skills and knowledge they're gathering while in pursuit of a bachelor of arts or science can be turned into tangible future employment or further study. More information and registration for the winter semester offering of these programs is available from the CDEL website.

Back to top

Declaring a Major and/or Minor for a BA; a B.Sc.

The Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) requires the completion of two areas of study in order to graduate. These two areas can be a major and a minor, or a double major. Departments require between 12-15 courses to be completed in the major. To complete a minor, there are 8 required courses. The major must be an arts subject whereas the minor may come from arts, science, business, or music. Students are also required to complete the BA core requirements. For a full listing of the BA degree components, please see the University Calendar.

To declare a major/minor in the Faculty of Arts, simply go to the Registrar's Office and fill out the "Declaration/Change of Academic Program" form. There are a few programs in the Faculty of Arts that have competitive entrance; however, you can consult the University Calendar for more information.

If you are pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree (B.Sc.) you must choose a major in a science subject. Departments require somewhere between 12-15 courses for a major. You may declare a minor, but it is not required; if you do complete a minor it is 8 courses. To learn more about the B.Sc. degree components, please see the University Calendar.

Some departments require the completion of 10 courses before accepting a student as a major in the Faculty of Science and departments such as biochemisty, biology and psychology have specific admission requirements. As well, in some cases there are specific deadlines for applying as well as application forms. Further information can be found in the University Calendar or at the departmental office.

To declare a major or a minor in the Faculty of Science, you must complete a "Declaration/Change of Academic Program" form and submit it to the head of the department of the program you want to declare; forms must then be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar. The form can be found online here.

Note: Some second-year courses are restricted to majors or minors, therefore, it is in your best interest to declare a major and minor before attemp

Back to top