Please Enter a Search Term

First Year Information 2014

When can I move into residence?  

For the Fall 2014 semester, the earliest date on which you can move into residence is Sunday, August 31, 2014 starting at 9:00a.m. You can learn more about living on our campus, including a check list of items you may want to bring with you, by visiting the On-Campus Housing office website.

You should contact if you have questions about your accomodations or room assignment.


How can I find out which books are required?  

You can find out which books you need for your courses from the bookstore online. Simply go to the Memorial University Bookstore website, select Textbooks from the main menu and choose the course you would like to have information for. Once you locate and highlight the course, select the Search button and you will be informed of which books have been ordered for the class, as well as the cost.


Can I still register for orientation?  

We strongly encourage you to attend Orientation in September. If you have not yet registered for Orientation, you may still do so. It is listed as ORTN 1000 within the course selections found through Memorial Self-Service.

Orietation is open to all new students to Memorial University, St. John's Campus. Memorial University’s New Student Orientation is designed to welcome, inspire and socialize new students to the St. John’s campus while fostering their independence and promoting their scholarly journeys.

You can learn more about Orientation 2014 by visiting the Orientation website.

Where do I get my student ID and what is it for?  

You can get your campus card (a.k.a. student identification card) at the Answers office (University Centre 3005) or you can request your card online

The primary use is for identification purposes (necessary when taking final examinations), but the campus card can also be used as a library card, as a photocopying card, and as a means to gain access to public laser printers on campus. The card also allows students to gain access through certain electronic doors on campus. If you plan to live on campus, your student identification card will serve as your key to your residence. 

You can put money on your card at the QEII Library or at any other location on campus where campus card loading machines are found. If you should have any concerns about getting your Campus Card, please contact Answers at (709) 864-7461 or email

Math Placement Test (MPT) and Calculas Placement Test (CPT) 

You must either be registered for the MPT or CPT or have an appropriate score in either test to be able to register for a first semester math courses on the St. John's campus. For more information on these placements tests please visit the Department of Mathematics website.

If you have not yet written the MPT, and you plan on taking a first-year math course, you should remember to register for the MPT or the CPT when you register for your courses using Memorial Self-Service. You can find the MPT among the course offerings by typing 1MPT for the course number and the CPT can be found by typing 1CPT for the course number. Remember that your score on the MPT can affect your eligibility to register for certain math, chemistry, physics and engineering courses.

If you do not obtain the appropriate mark on the MPT or the CPT, an advisor with the Academic Advising Centre can assist you with deciding which courses you should take. You can contact an academic advisor by emailing or calling 709-864-8801.

English Lanuage Placement Test

All undergraduate students accepted and beginning a program at Memorial University for the first time (or who did not take the English placement test previously) who were required to provide proof of English proficiency such as TOEFL or IELTS scores are reminded that they must also take the English Language Placement Test (EPT).

Students need to register for this test by going to the English as a Second Language website and clicking on the link for the next testing. The next English Placement test will be held on Monday, September 1, 2014 from 10am – 1pm in the Engineering building in room EN2040.

Students who were not required to provide proof of TOEFL or IELTS because they met the requirement of English Language Secondary Institution do not need to take the EPT providing they plan on taking ENG1080; if they do not want to take ENG1080 and want to take ENG1020 then they must take the placement test.

How can I make changes to my class schedule?

You may change your schedule through Memorial Self-Service after you have completed your initial registration. Keep in mind that, once you drop a course, you may not be able to add it to your schedule again should another student register for the available space. Also, if you drop a course that is a co-requisite of another course in your schedule, the other course will also be dropped.

If you have concerns about registration or changing your schedule, please do not hesitate to contact the Academic Advising Centre at (709) 864-8801 or To learn how to book an appointment with an academic advisor please visit the Academic Advising Centre

How and when do I pay my fees? 

Did you know you can pay your student account using your bank's online or telephone payment system? Memorial University can be set up as a payee for most major banks. Just follow 3 easy steps presented on the Cashiers Office website.

Tuition fees and all other fees are due upon registration. Once you register for courses you are financially liable for them unless you drop them by the appropriate deadlines.Fees must be paid by the September 3, 2014 deadline to avoid a late payment penalty. You can view a detailed list of the amount you are owing at any time through Memorial Self Service in the Financial Information section and an invoice will be sent to you through your email account.

Memorial University offers students a variety of payment methods.  To learn more about fees payment see the Cashier's Office information. For a detailed listing of all financial regulations and fees, please see the Fees and Charges section of the current University Calendar. For other financial inquiries, please contact the Cashier’s Office in St John’s at 709-864-8226 or 864-8229.

How do I update my Personal Information? 

To make changes to your personal information, such as your phone number and address, please visit the MUN website (, select Memorial Self-Service and log-in using your student number and PIN. You will select Personal Information, followed by Update Addresses and Phones and then view your current contact information. You can then make the necessary changes and click submit. Finally, review your updated contact information and select exit from the top right hand menu to log out.





Click here to access Memorial University's MUNlive.