Completed M.A. Theses
Below are recent theses and projects that have been successfully defended by our Master of Arts students:
- Harvey-Crowell, Liam. The Impact and Perception of Islam and Authority Online Among Muslim University Students in St. John's, NL.
- Williams, Jennifer. Addressing Multiculturalism in the Newfoundland and Labrador Multiculturalism Policy and in the Everyday Lives of Muslims in St. John's, NL.
- Ralph, Rebecca F. Community and the Colonial Church: An Examination of the Church of England's Establishment of its First Missions in Southern Labrador, 1848-1876.
- Pomeroy, Trevor. 'As Commander of the Army of the Lord I Have Now Come': Joshua 5:13-6:27 as War Narrative in Context.
- Courey, Rachel. Getting to Reconciliation: Lonergan and Religious Conflict in Transformation.
- Hughes, Micheline. Scapegoat, Sacrifice, or Saviour: An Examination of the Outsider in the Mahabharata.
- Worsley, Emily. Where Were You When I Laid the Foundations of the Earth? Creation as Unfinished in the God’s Speech to Job.
- Andrews, Pamela. Ain’t No Spook God: Religiosity in the Nation of Gods and Earths.
- Hickman, Allyson. Social Stigma: How the Broom Closet Affects the Pagan Experience.
- Newman, David. The Eschatology of Newfoundland and Labrador's Early Pentecostals: Jesus Is Coming Soon. 1910-1949.
- Walters, Lisa. Christianity, Conservatism, and Capitol Hill: How the Evangelical Christian Beliefs of the Harper Cabinet Affect Public Policy in Canada.
- MacDougall, Christopher. There and Back Again: The Divergent Paths of Frodo in Lord of the Rings.
- Ford, Jessica. Fire: The Elemental Nature of the Draupadi.
- Randell, Dwane. Reciprocal Justice: Morality and God in the Work of Tertullian of Carthage.
- Laing, Peter. 'Give Me a Moravian Establishment': The Failure of Methodist Missionary Efforts in Central Labrador, 1824-1828.
- Ross, Elizabeth. From Gurdjieff to Gremlins: Teaching Methods of a Present-Day Fourth Way School.
- White, Meagan. The Post-Conversion Social Experiences of New Muslims in St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Howlett, Danny. Drowning in My Dreams. X/1999: The Modern Myth and the Constraints of Gender Constructs.
- Aucoin, Lael. Reclaiming Dinah: A Feminist-Literary Analysis of Genesis 34:1-9.
- Monteith, Michael. The Saint of Pure Love: Examining Catherine of Genoa's Mystical Doctrine of Purgatory.
- Crossan, Mark. The Simpsons Project.
- Richler, Avrum. The Origins and Place of the Temple Scroll in the Qumran Corpus.
- Kearley, Bruce. Walter Rauschenbusch and Oliver Jackson: A Comparative Study in the Social Gospel Tradition.
- Monteith, Andrew. The Light and the Night: An Ethnographic Examination of Spiritual Warfare.
- Scott, Linda. 'My Name is Legion: An Exploration of the Meaning of the Story of the Gerasine Demoniac in Marks 5:1-20.
- Briffett, Carla. The Methodist 'Authoritarian Fiction' of George Bond.
- Bishop, Danielle. Feminist Theology, Christianity, and the Problem of Patriarchy: Toward an Alternative Perspective.
- Yungblut, Christopher. Implicit Religion in Canadian Film: A New Frontier.
- Kandler, Renate. Religious Belief in the Thought of Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington.
- Despres, Sebastien. The Body/ies of the Faithful: A Corporeal Ethnography of Canadians on a Roman Catholic Marian Pilgrimage to Medjugorje, Bosnia.
- Keating, Raelene. The Tower of Babel: A Literary Examination of Genesis 11:1-9.
- Sheedy, Matt. Locke's Inheritors: An Examination of the Theological Underpinnings of the Letter Concerning Toleration and Its Implications for the Modern Dilemma of Religious Toleration.
- Sanderson, Sherri. How High Was He? The Religious Thought and Activity of Edward Feild, Second Church of England Bishop of Newfoundland (1844-1876).
- Wolcott, Bradley. The Flame That Enkindles All: Francisco de Osuna, the Exercise of Recollection, and the Overarching Law of Love.
- King, Karlie. Alternative Medicine as Modern Magic: A Study of Spiritual Manual Techniques.
- Russell, Heather. Evangelicalism in the Anglican Church in Nineteenth-Century Newfoundland.
- Winsor, Gail. The Art of Hermes: 1 John's Defence of the Johannine Tradition.
- Furney, Mandy. A Nature-Based Religion in the City: Contemporary North American Pagan Relationships with Urban Environments.
- Walsh, Catherine. Prophet in a Righteous Land: George W. Bush's Rhetoric and the Hebrew Bible.
- Sherwood, Ian. Job's 'Restoration': An Ascetic Misinterpretation of the Epilogue of the Book of Job.
- Benert, Richard. Windows on a Medieval World: Medieval Piety as Reflected in the Lapidary Literature of the Middle Ages.
- Brosnan, Eileen. 'The Movies Shoulda Been Snow White but They Drifted': The International Federation of Catholic Alumnae Responds to the Movie Menace.
- Carter, Ben. Feuerbachian Imagination and the Reversal of Hegelian Ontology in The Essence of Christianity (1841).
- O'Neill, Joanne. The Sacred in Art: An Interpretative Study of Bernard Lonergan's Theory of Art.
- Anonsen, Maureen. The Transformation from Existential to Theoretical Theodicy in the Work of Julian of Norwich.
- Canning, Barry. Spiritual Concepts in Therapeutic Touch.
- Gilroy, Daniel A. G. The Genesis and Ecology Debate.
- Rosales, Janna. Method in Ecology: Bernard Lonergan and Catholic Environmental Ethics.
- Williams, David. Jon Sobrino and the Quest of the Historical Jesus.
- Brodie, Ian Bernard. Bernard Lonergan's Method and Religious Studies: Functional Specialities and the Academic Study of Religion.
- Brett, Kayla V. 'Doing the Truth' and the Conflict Within the Johannine Community.
- Gillingham, Michele Lynn. Israel's Non-Entry into Messianic Salvation: Reflections on the Meaning of Romans 9-11 in the Light of Anti-Judaism.
- White, Gay J. (Peddle). A History of SPG-Supported Schools in Newfoundland: 1701-1827.
- Williams, Elizabeth. The Father, the Son, and the Beloved Disciple: Revelation and Self-Identity in the Fourth Gospel.
- Butler, Alison L. The Revival of the Occult Philosophy: Cabalistic Magic and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.
- Mitchell, Matthew. 'I Will Go and Return': Motion, Tension, and the Uncertainty of Salvation in the Language and Literary Structure of the Book of Hosea.
- Taylor-Hood, Victoria. Religious Life in French Newfoundland to 1714.
- Labron, Tim. John 1:14a and Rudolf Bultmann's Hermeneutical Method.
- Jenkins, Barry S. Jack Kerouac and the 'Beat' Sect of American Zen Buddhism.
- Pinsent, William Paul. The Institutionalization of Experiential Religion: A Study of Newfoundland Pentecostalism.
- Meade, Sonya R. Bless God and Die: An Examination of the Role of Job's Wife in the Masoretic Text of Job.
- Robinson, Angela. Eighteenth-Century Newfoundland Methodism as a Revitalization Movement.
- Walsh, Corrine C. 'What was from the Beginning' (I John 1:1) The Priority of the Johannine Epistles and the Johannine Community.
- Bungay, Roy. Narrative Structure and Character Development in 2 Samuel 11.
- McGrath, Martha. Emotions in the Zhuangzi.
- Peddle, Geoffrey. The Reverend Jacob Rice : Anglican Ministry and Preaching in Early Eighteenth Century Newfoundland.
- Reynolds, Denise. The Importance of the Reading Site in Liberating Exegesis: Mark 6:30-44, An Illustration.
- Duke, Pat. The Numinous Experience and Self-Understanding in 1QH.
- Gosse, Jennifer. Classical Confucian Ideas of Music.
- Gregory, Krista. I John in the light of the Debate on Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity.
- Hodder, Bryce. Christianity’s Burden of Guilt: An Examination of Lynn White’s Thesis on the Ecological Crisis in the Light of the Biblical Data.
- Jenkins, Carla. The Reader and the Samaritan Woman in John 4:1-42.
- Howlett, Jill. The Self-Understanding of the Johannine Community: The World of the Fourth Gospel in the Prologue and John 17.
- Lambe, Tony: Genesis 38: Literary Design and Context.
- Barrett, Dawn. Revivalism and the Origins of Newfoundland Methodism, 1766-1774.
- Dawe, Ronald. Jews and Judaism in Mark’s Gospel: An Examination of Mark 4:11-12 in its Literary Context.